Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
"Spike Your English" Block of the Month Quilt-Along >

"Spike Your English" Block of the Month Quilt-Along

"Spike Your English" Block of the Month Quilt-Along

Old 08-25-2013, 04:13 PM

Fine, Dublb, but it will not be the same without you on this journey...I am thinking that I will not always be on time 'cause of my cataract eye surgery...drops before and drops afterwards tend to make things fuzzy. You know your own time line, Dublb, and we all love to have you as a lurker, if you cannot an active part of it. The virtual RV is still open to you as we..all love it when you join us.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:24 PM

Dublb just make sure you download all the patterns so that when you are settled into your new home you will have a wonderful new project to work on and we will cheer you on as always.

Welcome aboard Groovy, you will have a lot of fun with this group..

I have worked on the cutting instructions up to block 5, when we start a new thread for the September pics I will post the instructions for the next two blocks, hope that makes sense..
Old 08-25-2013, 05:35 PM

Welcome to the newcomers! Great fabric choices. I hope that everyone is able to stick with us....seeing the great variety each month will be so much fun.

I have block #1 done and one section of block #2 together. I like to make one section to make sure I like it, then I will do the other five this week. The fabric is all cut and ready to go.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:21 PM

Well I got 1/2 of the next block (Cactus Rose) done and then I remembered that today was the day I could finally try the freezer pickles I made a few weeks ago with my abundance of cucumbers. First time making them, so wasn't sure how they would turn out. Well ... not bad for a first effort but the recipe needed some tweaking. I had another 10 or cukes that were harvested Friday and yesterday, and scads of green peppers - so I decided to make another batch of 4 jars. Tweaked the recipe a bit, and added jalapeno's to 2 of the jars. Now I wait again

A note about the blocks ... and keeping the smaller off-cuts.

I measure the odd shaped pieces into usable rectangles and usually cut all 6 at once from a strip (or 12 if it's a symmetrical designed piece). I then trim the excess.

If you use this method ... keep the small bits!! The block "Cactus Rose" has several area's where I was able to use even the smallest off cuts of background fabric. I even went digging through my garbage bin mumbling "I know I have one more little triangle down there!".

So I now have a "pile" of "bits" that might come in handy.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:39 PM

Thanks ya'll for understandin'. I sure don't want ta miss seein' what ya'll do though.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:57 PM

DogHouseMom - thanks for the tip on saving all those small pieces. I'll be sure to do put them in a container so I'll have them for future blocks!
Old 08-25-2013, 08:52 PM

QNS, Never worry about keeping up...I'm sure there will be others keeping you company as well as myself at times.

Mirabelle, Thank you ever so much for doing this for us...it reall helps...

JeanieG & QuiltE, I'm thinking with everyone that has expressed to maybe do this and those that have commited to doing this journey we should be close to 60 ???

Dublb, You have alot on your plate right now and we know you'll be cheering us on!! You have a very large sewing room!!!...I love the sewing machines on display...I went to a freecycle home today for an after yard sale freebies...I got a Brother VX710 zig zag machine...I asked her if she was selling it she said "no it's yours if you can put it together"..I was so tickled and said yes...it one of the lightweight models...this now makes it 23 machines..."YIKES"!!!
I'm waiting to happen on a machine that will do the "blindstitch" to give to dear sis...she's always hemming pants for her son & grands...
Have to check in on the other thread...Have a good night everyone...Honchey
Old 08-26-2013, 01:13 AM

Sweet dreams Honchey
Old 08-26-2013, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by carriem View Post
Welcome to the newcomers!

I have block #1 done and one section of block #2 together. I like to make one section to make sure I like it, then I will do the other five this week. The fabric is all cut and ready to go.
I am doing them the same way. I've had one section on block #2 done for a few days but have not had the time to get back into my sewing room to do the rest. I will have my two grandchildren daily now until they begin school after Labor Day. When they are in school then I'll have more time to get busy on the blocks.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:20 PM
Power Poster

Hey folks I was at my local Wally World today. In the scrapbook section I found a double stick tape--made by the Elmer's Glue that was a reusable temporary adhesive. I've used double stick tape to hold fabric to paper instead of a pin or glue stick. Gonna give this a try when I finally get to Block #1.