Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boomerang Friendship Swap 10.0-MAIA Group (Fast) >

Boomerang Friendship Swap 10.0-MAIA Group (Fast)

Boomerang Friendship Swap 10.0-MAIA Group (Fast)

Old 08-25-2013, 11:53 AM
Power Poster

Thumbs up Block pictures and Sashing

Thank you all for posting pictures of your blocks. I really enjoy looking at them and am inspired by those that already put the sashing on. How do you decide what color/pattern you use for your sashing without having all your blocks? Any ideas for mine? I know black would work but I do not really like that for a child. I have some bright stripey fabric with white. How much fabric would I need for sashing for 16 blocks?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	134 (Custom).JPG
Views:	255
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	432198  

Last edited by Annaquilts; 08-25-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:58 PM

I don't always Annaq but this one was kind of a no brainer. With the fabric I had it just had to be a black. Never would I have put bright pink and a gold-orange together but it's working. I have some of the gold and pink left so that will be the final border probably and the other may turn out to be the binding with a black strip between. I have a son coming home the end of October that I may have to hide this from.
Yours has so many colors, think I might try a dark tan, or really dark green if you don't want black. One of the colors that really stand out in the prints but darker. I only say darker because your prints are so bright I think it will make them stand out more. I just audition colors....maybe you'll like red or blue better.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:02 PM
Power Poster

Hmmm yes, I also thought maybe dark green. I have to see what I have too. It is good to hear reconfirmed what is crossing my mind also. I did think of red but I think DD, mama of grand son, likes dark brown, green and blue. Lets see what I can find. Most of my fabric is in the FQ or smaller range with a couple of bigger pieces.

I also wonder if I should just sew the blocks together and put a border around it all with another kid's print. If I put sashing I will not put a border on as it will most likely get too big. What is your thoughts on this?
Old 08-25-2013, 03:10 PM

Well as 1 grandma to another I have lots of dk. green or blue and would love to send you some for your sashing and borders. Just show me a pic of that quilt when you get it done, seriously. Let me know or I can send you some of both and you can decide.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:20 PM
Power Poster

Jaba that would be really sweet. Let me pm you. One of my daughter in laws is here and she says dark blue sashing.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:45 PM

I did see your reply and glad you liked it TerriTerri
Old 08-25-2013, 07:59 PM

Anna I would use a primary color your blocks all have a primary so red or blue would work since its a boy why not a primary blue of some sort? not solid but maybe a blender/tone on tone? in a bold color not baby pastel but royal! or another Crayola blue? don't go too dark remember.. the drool factor it will show a lot too.. surely you will figure it all out. Your babies are lucky ones
Old 08-26-2013, 08:54 AM

I have received a block from Anna Quilts. Very very nice! I received this a couple of days ago, sorry I didn't post this sooner.
Has anybody heard from QuilterMomma? Maybe I should send her a PM? I would like to put my quilt together as it is a gift to one of my daughters.
Phyllis
sunrise450
Old 08-26-2013, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Elisabrat View Post
Anna I would use a primary color your blocks all have a primary so red or blue would work since its a boy why not a primary blue of some sort? not solid but maybe a blender/tone on tone? in a bold color not baby pastel but royal! or another Crayola blue? don't go too dark remember.. the drool factor it will show a lot too.. surely you will figure it all out. Your babies are lucky ones
I agree with Brat. If you want it even more colorfull, how about different primary colors to go with each block? Not my cup of tea but I can see why a baby would love it!
Phyllis
sunrise450
Old 08-26-2013, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by sunrise450 View Post
I have received a block from Anna Quilts. Very very nice! I received this a couple of days ago, sorry I didn't post this sooner.
Has anybody heard from QuilterMomma? Maybe I should send her a PM? I would like to put my quilt together as it is a gift to one of my daughters.
Phyllis
sunrise450

Phyllis yours is going in the mail today from me, have to go to the post office today at lunch.

I got 4 done this weekend being sick. Better than I thought I would.