Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Isolette blankets >

Isolette blankets

Isolette blankets

Old 08-29-2013, 07:06 AM

Hospital laundries are horror on dark fabrics and black and dark brown would be the worst I think as they would bleed and fade quickly leaving a fabric that looked "dirty" all the time. Being a Nurse also and a Mom, I would not want my baby wrapped up in something dark. Patients in general do much better in light with bright or with pastels in their surroundings and these tend to lean toward healing. Darks do not seem to do that. Just my humble opinion.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Stitch124 View Post
Hi - My sister in law is the manager of the hospital nursery and NICU in the city where she lives. She's asked me to make isolette blankets that will be sturdy enough to withstand the hospital's laundry process.

She will be providing the dimensions to me shortly and has asked that the bottom of the blankets be black or dark brown, blue, green, etc to block out light so the babies can sleep undisturbed. The tops can be baby designs and any cheerful and fun fabric that will work in the laundry.

Does anyone here have any experience with these types of isolette blankets? What have been your general observations? What fabric works best? Type of quilting used? Fabrics? Did you have the fabric already or was it donated? She said she would pay me to make them, but if I can get the fabric donated then I would make them for free, of course. She said the manufacturer she buys them from now charges $250 each!!! That's just plain ridiculous!

I have done a bit of research on the internet for isolette blankets and some are very simple designs to very elaborate with separate panels that flip up and tie at the ends to prevent the blankets from slipping off the isolette. I will know more about what she wants when she sends the name of the isolette manufacturer and the dimensions.

Any ideas and information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. This will definitely be a true labor of love and an honor for me.

Thanks,
Stitch124
May I ask? Are the blankets covering the isolettes? Not the babies? Sounds like it if they are asking for light blocking colors.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:13 AM

$250 for at most two yards of simple fabric?????????????????
Old 08-29-2013, 07:17 AM

I have a friend here who makes them for our New Born ICU thru the Linus program. She uses cottons for the tops and backs. Then quilts with an all over meander.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:35 AM

The blankets I made for our Children s hospital were the ones that they sent home with the babies.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:04 AM

I made a stack of quilts for our neonatal preemie dept at the hospital to use on their beds to help brighten the nursery. Their measurements require 26" square. Some of the quilts are flannel on both sides, some with cotton on both sides with warn & natural in the middle, bright pretty colors, then hand I tie or tack several spots on the sewing machine depending on the pattern in the fabric. They only are sent home with parents if the babies get attached to them.
Jothesewer
Old 08-29-2013, 08:18 AM

I have worked in the NICU for a long long time. We have quilters donate quilts all the time and also from the Linus Project. We use the quilts on top of the isolette and cribs for blocking the light. When the baby goes home they take the blanket or quilt home with them. We only use the isolette covers for the very very low birthweight infant but those don't go home with the baby at discharge. Those are very expensive but like I said we don't send those home with the baby. Some hospitals do things differently so follow her instructions.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

Ditto what Tink's mom said.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:35 AM

Default NICU Quilts

"Does anyone here have any experience with these types of isolette blankets? What have been your general observations? What fabric works best? Type of quilting used? Fabrics? Did you have the fabric already or was it donated? "

My guild makes NICU quilts that go home with the babies. Our dimensions are 24" by 30" The hospital asked us to use 100% cotton for the outer layers and at least 80% cotton for the batting. The reason for this is the high oxygen environment. In case of fire cotton does not melt like poly does.

All of our fabric is donated and we test it to make sure there is no poly. Poly blends are donated to other groups so there is no waste. The guild buys the batting; we have used both Warm and White and Hobbs 80/20. I think that the Warm and White or Warm and Natural would stand up to the hospital laundry better than the Hobbs 80/20.

Patterns vary as we are often using scraps from other outreach quilts we make. If we use a mixture of flannel and other cotton, we prewash the flannel as it shrinks differently than quilting cotton. We also wash the completed quilts before donation. Some of our quilters have animals and you don't want to compromise the babies in any way.

Go for it it is a really rewarding and fun job!
Old 08-29-2013, 11:31 AM
sap

Originally Posted by Stitch124 View Post
Hi - My sister in law is the manager of the hospital nursery and NICU in the city where she lives. She's asked me to make isolette blankets that will be sturdy enough to withstand the hospital's laundry process.

She will be providing the dimensions to me shortly and has asked that the bottom of the blankets be black or dark brown, blue, green, etc to block out light so the babies can sleep undisturbed. The tops can be baby designs and any cheerful and fun fabric that will work in the laundry.

Does anyone here have any experience with these types of isolette blankets? What have been your general observations? What fabric works best? Type of quilting used? Fabrics? Did you have the fabric already or was it donated? She said she would pay me to make them, but if I can get the fabric donated then I would make them for free, of course. She said the manufacturer she buys them from now charges $250 each!!! That's just plain ridiculous!

I have done a bit of research on the internet for isolette blankets and some are very simple designs to very elaborate with separate panels that flip up and tie at the ends to prevent the blankets from slipping off the isolette. I will know more about what she wants when she sends the name of the isolette manufacturer and the dimensions.

Any ideas and information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. This will definitely be a true labor of love and an honor for me.

Thanks,
Stitch124
I made receiving/isolate blankets with 2 pieces of flannel used ties on one end and rounded the corners sewed them together and birthed them, then sewed around them. they could be tied into place if necessary or have the ties removed. I used a dark flannel on one side.