Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Lessons learned - buying on Craig's list and EBay >

Lessons learned - buying on Craig's list and EBay

Lessons learned - buying on Craig's list and EBay

Old 08-30-2013, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by mlmack View Post
I really stuff them in there, so there is not a lot of room for them to shift. Plus, whatever I am packing usually has a 3-4 inch layer of big bubble wrap, so some minor shifting won't be that much of an issue.
Ah! That makes more sense.

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I am about to post a couple pics in my Singer 13 thread showing the repairs I just finished on the bonnet that was shipped to me WITH the 1887 Singer 13 head inside of it. Oh, but don't worry, it was in Styrofoam peanuts..... and then the bonnet was surrounded with more peanuts in the box... (This was an Ebay seller that I made a follow up purchase with)
Ugh. I saw a pic once of a bentwood that was shipped with the machine un-bubble wrapped. It wasn't pretty. Especially because it seemed to be missing one or both of the bolts that hold the hinges too.

Poor little 13.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I am about to post a couple pics in my Singer 13 thread showing the repairs I just finished on the bonnet that was shipped to me WITH the 1887 Singer 13 head inside of it. Oh, but don't worry, it was in Styrofoam peanuts..... and then the bonnet was surrounded with more peanuts in the box... (This was an Ebay seller that I made a follow up purchase with)
Well, putting a bare, 50lb machine in a box with just packing peanuts is pretty dumb, and an obvious recipe for disaster.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:13 AM

I have never sold anything on Craig's list but have purchased a patio set, a generator and a refrigerator; all of which I and husband went to see and made sure they were in good condition before we purchased. So far I have not been disappointed.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:06 AM

I bought a Pfaff 7570 sewing machine with embroidery unit on eBay (this was bidding). I have also bought embroidery cards for the unit and the cord to connect to my old computer. Everything worked out great. My husband has bought things on eBay also with no problems. We haven't purchased anything on Craig's List, but have sold some things.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:46 AM
Power Poster

I use Saran wrap - lots of it - foam sheets - egg carton cup over the tension, etc

Last edited by miriam; 08-30-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I use Saran wrap - lots of it - foam sheets - egg carton cup over the tension, etc
Yep. I slap a piece of foam over the top to protect the thread guides and spool pins and whatever else is protruding.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:39 PM

I had a very nice RedEye 66 shipped inside a very nice bentwood case - with no packing between the machine and case.

It's a good thing it only went from Northern NE to the middle of SD - the machine had flopped a bit and the thread spool had poked a small hole in the case. The wood was not completely separated, so DH very carefully pushed it back into place. From the outside, you have to know where to look or you won't see it.

When I contacted the seller about it, he replied that he thought about putting packing inside the case with the machine, but could not figure how to do so, so he shipped it hoping it would be OK. We came to an agreement for a partial refund.

The second time I bought a machine with a wood case, the seller shipped them in two boxes.