Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina sewing machines >

Bernina sewing machines

Bernina sewing machines

Old 08-30-2013, 11:55 AM

Some of the models mentioned in this thread are no longer for sale, except as "previously loved" machines, which are often a great buy. I have a 730 which I use at home and for embroidery, and a 350 I take to classes. I love my 730. My suggestion to you would be to buy the best you can afford. Some of my students have bought the more basic machines, but then ended up trading them in for machines that can embroider, use a BSR, do cut work, etc. Go to Bernina online and look at the features comparison charts, then test drive the ones you are interested in. Don't forget to ask about previously loved machines as you can get more bang for your buck, but please don't buy from auction sites as you may end up with a damaged machine and no store warrantee (as happened to a customer at my LQS recently. She tried to save a few dollars but ended up with a bad machine and no help.) Good luck! You won't regret getting a Bernina.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:05 PM

I love my Bernina. It looked so complicated when I bought it. My dealer offers free guide classes. Take them if they are offered. I learned so much and about a year later, I took them again. I know you are thinking slow learner. My hey were making a sewing machine cover the second tome and I wanted to make it. They are wonderful machines and if you don't understand what the feet and features do, you won't use it to its fullest. They are magical machines to me. I think I visited our two Bernina stores about 6 times with them showing me different things on different machines. When I narrowed it down to two machines, I went 2 more times and drug my husband down the last time to purchase the machine. Hope this helps.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:59 PM

I own the Bernina 640 , 830E, and Auroro 440QE. The 550 is an upgrade to my 440QE with a larger throat and other features. I primarily piece quilts on my 440QE, use the 640 to take to my embroidery club each month and other classes held. The 830 is my dream machine with the Horn cabinet to match it as well as the quilting frame and quilt motion software for quilting. I have a wonderful sewing center which offers service on all my machines. I have not tried the 330 or 350, but I am sure they are good for what they were manufactured to do. Do discuss with your local sewing center what you need the machine to do. I only want to assure you that the Bernina, in my opinion, is the best machine you can buy. Good luck in making your decision.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:01 PM

Default Bernina Sewing Machines

I own the Bernina 640 , 830E, and Auroro 440QE. The 550 is an upgrade to my 440QE with a larger throat and other features. I primarily piece quilts on my 440QE, use the 640 to take to my embroidery club each month and other classes held. The 830 is my dream machine with the Horn cabinet to match it as well as the quilting frame and quilt motion software for quilting. I have a wonderful sewing center which offers service on all my machines. I have not tried the 330 or 350, but I am sure they are good for what they were manufactured to do. Do discuss with your local sewing center what you need the machine to do. I only want to assure you that the Bernina, in my opinion, is the best machine you can buy. Good luck in making your decision.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:10 PM

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR REPLIES! I am sure this thread has helped others who are thinking of getting a new machine. I did get a call that my Elna is ready to go - they replaced the motor brushes - I'll see how she runs when I pick her up. I am still thinking of getting a new machine, because she is 25 years old and has served me so well. I have never left anyone else sew on my machine butrecently I have left my granddaughter (6 yrs old) sew on it because I can control her speed and there is a guide, sort of like a fence, that I can attach to help her sew the correct seam width. Again, thanks to everyone for the information!! Judy

Last edited by jbud2; 08-30-2013 at 04:12 PM.