Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is the general public really that ignorant? >

Is the general public really that ignorant?

Is the general public really that ignorant?

Old 08-31-2013, 12:56 PM

Recently completed a crib size quilt for a soon to be mom. The words of thanks were said with tears in her eyes. And just by chance the colors were being used in the nursery. That's why I quilt.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:12 PM
pw6

Amen to all.. I quit doing lessons for that same reason and have had friends accept me quote and then try to get it for less when I have done all the work... I do not touch anything without 1/2 down or all money up front. the fabric is to high now and the quality is just not there. one has to be very careful where you buy your fabric.. I quilt buying at Joann's for that very reason.. not being picky but good fabric is a must when you have you name on it.. LOL
Old 08-31-2013, 03:38 PM

Yes, people can be ignorant about that it takes to make a quilt in both $$, Talent & Time.
But some people think just because you are "friends" that you should do it for nothing.
A "friend" of my mothers was telling her about some quilts they saw auction go for over $1200.
They were amazed at the cost of them. Then they asked her how much for one of hers. She gave them a fair price for a Queen Quilt ($400.)& they had the nerve to tell her I can get one cheaper at (insert Discount Store)... She told them to go right ahead. They have now been put on her you will 'never get one of my quilts' list..... mine too.

When I make a quilt I have the person come & discuss what they want. I show them some of mine & pictures of ones I have made. I require 50% NON refundable deposit before I purchase fabrics, etc. And if they do not come pick it up in a timely manner when finished, I keep it , sell it or give it to someone who deserves it.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Shelbie View Post
And this is exactly why I will not make quilts for others even if they offer to "pay" me. It's just so not worth my time and frustration plus trying to please someone for the princely sum of $75! My line is always "Thanks for thinking of me but it is just not something that I do as quilting is just my hobby".
I have said this lots of times. Later I hear about the wonderful value they got and when I see it, I just shake my head. Whatever!
Old 08-31-2013, 06:50 PM

Before I started quilting my MIL made us a quilt using double knit fabric and she hand quilted it. This was at least 25 years ago. Do I need to tell you how heavy it was???? Sure warm in the winter. One washing and the tulip pieces started to fall apart. She had also hand pieced it. It didn't bother me too much at that time. Little did I know!!!!!! When I started making quilts I pieced on the machine but hand quilted. Let me tell you that I had a new respect for quilters and quilting. There is NO way I would make a quilt for $75. It took me 400 hours just to hand quilt a queen quilt for my sister. I didn't consider myself stupid--------just totally ignorant of quilts and making them. However, there are still a lot of stupid people out there. LOL
Old 08-31-2013, 06:52 PM

But did he?? It sounds like he was looking for bargin. Was his quote for a made in China quilt? I don't think you price was to high. If anything I though you were giving him a bargin.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:15 PM

Neesie -- That was my first thought too. She probably would have taken off running after the first 10 minutes.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:35 PM

Honestly, I would say some people dont understand all that is involved in quilting, especially the actual quilting. Before I knew how to quilt I did think some my aunt bought were expensive, not that I did not appreciate all the hard work, I just did not understand the costs involved and I had never exposed my self to any type of sewing, now that I quilt, I understand so much more clearly. If this guy can get them for 75.00, he is either fibbing or the person making them is cheating them selves.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mimiqwerty View Post
Perhaps people think a woman quilter is just "sewing" but a male quilter is an "artist." Any male quilters out there who'd like to respond?
I have done a few quilts for people, and fist I get the question of "Really? You quilt?". Then when I give the quote of $200 for a twin, and $400 for a queen, a lot of people are shocked and end up not commissioning me. I've also had sexism work against me. A lot of people think that I don't know what I'm doing because I am a male quilter/seamster. I've also had the problem of people wanting me to hand quilt a queen size quilt for only $30. As I tell them, I would charge that for a SMALL wall hanging (under 18"x18"), and I know my prices are very low compared to a lot of you others.

I still think the funniest thing I've heard is a relative asked me to make a double wedding ring quilt in 2 weeks, for $50. I just laughed and said it can't be done.

I even told my sister off when she took me along with her to take some items to her seamstress, and proceeded to tell the seamstress, "Oh, it's not that hard. It will only take you 5 minutes." I then had to let her know, if it really wasn't all that hard, why did she take it to the seamstress?
Old 08-31-2013, 11:43 PM

Yes, they are quilt ignorant, and NO your price was ok.