Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is the general public really that ignorant? >

Is the general public really that ignorant?

Is the general public really that ignorant?

Old 09-01-2013, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Stitch124 View Post
I posted pics on another thread of a t-shirt quilt I made for a friend's son who was going away to college. After all was said and done, that quilt ended up being almost a king size quilt! She didn't pay me for it, but she has given me some furniture. For the quilt she gave me a whole library of Disney VHS tapes and a tv/vcr for my grandkids, a bookcase, a set of bunkbeds and an old washer and dryer for my daughter who moved out on her own. I think that I got the better end of the deal.....but I won't be making another t-shirt quilt that big again. Way more work than I thought it would be.

Long live the barter system. Yes, it sounds like you did well in that exchange.

Jane
Old 09-01-2013, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Shelbie View Post
And this is exactly why I will not make quilts for others even if they offer to "pay" me. It's just so not worth my time and frustration plus trying to please someone for the princely sum of $75! My line is always "Thanks for thinking of me but it is just not something that I do as quilting is just my hobby".
Shelbie, I love that quote! Perfect way to say it without offending.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:59 PM

I think some folks consider quilts as being "homemade and not very valuable" just barely above garage sale items. I have never sold one, just made as gifts to special people in my life.
The most special one I ever made was the "Golden Wedding Ring" with over 3000 pieces in it, for my parents' 50th Anniversary. The blocks were 6 sided instead of 4.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:59 PM

You get what you pay for !!!! Just like when hubby bought the store brand garlic instant potatoes instead of IDAHOAN Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes for maybe 25 cents difference. They were just okay but not worth the cost savings
Old 09-01-2013, 04:05 PM

stand your ground girl. a long time ago I had a similar experience for a wedding cake. After spending a whole afternoon with the bride she did the same thing. As she was leaving she expressed that she could not wait for me do her daughters birthday cake, as she got up to leave I politely said " Just remember I'm very good and very expensive." I never heard from her again. Our skills and expertise are worth what ever we set it at.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:32 PM

Yes, they are that ignorant. I have only ever made one quilt to sell, I did it for $75 for a co-worker who I knew didn't have much money. It was only a baby size, no WAY would I do a twin for anything less than what you quoted. And to give her that price, all she got to pick was colors, I used fabric from my stash and picked the pattern.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
I think to some people, quilts are like afghans, there is always a little grandma somewhere who would be happy to make you one. lol.
Even afghans can be costly if you use good, quality yarn. I do know what you are saying though.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:56 PM

Too high? Certainly not! It would cost well over $100 for me to sent one out to LA quilter.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:31 PM

You can hardly blame the non quilting public when you have major quilting organizations like the "AMERICAN" Quilters Society selling Egyptian wall hangings (at the most 50x50) at their most recent show in Grand Rapids MI for $500 and up! The bindings were so poorly applied they rippled like a flag in the breeze. What really makes me upset is that if I submitted a piece of work as poorly constructed as these pieces, I would not even be allowed to hang my work in their precious show. So to me its no wonder that I can not even sell a hand appliqued, hand quilted, queen sized Baltimore Bride quilt for $800 and you can not sell a twin size for $150.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:39 AM

Let's look at this from the "buyer" point of view.....perhaps once they hear the price quoted, they have learned the "value" and that they are sad that it really is not in their budget. I love Coach purses but I dont have the "budget"to pay $350 for one I currently drool over. That price point seems more within my reach that I don't bother droolong over more epensive price points at Coach. I head to the Coach "oulet" store to see if there is a bg that IS within my ability to py....which is under $150.00 for a purse.

People respond defensively perhaps out of shock or embarrassment. I was complimented for one of my hand made purses that I was carrying...I ran into a casual friend and she complimented me on the bag and asked me if I made purses for others. I smiled and told her how many hours I had into the construction of the bag (8). She laughed and exclaimed.."NEVER MIND"! I did not take offence and we had a good giggle over our exchange. No feelings were hurt or insulted . She "got it". She asked...I answered. Nuff said.

Think sewing machine prices.....what are YOU willing/able to pay?

sandy