Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Academy of Quilting >

Academy of Quilting

Academy of Quilting

Old 08-31-2013, 11:03 AM

It's always best to look at the course description, class outline, supply list, and even the instructor's bio, before making a decision whether to take a class...online or in person.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:28 PM

I have to give props to craftsy for their excellent service. One professor wasn't answering my questions so they gave me a refund and let me keep my class as well, so I will continue to use craftsy as I have enjoyed it
Old 09-01-2013, 04:04 AM

I was very interested in signing up to "academy of quilting" until I saw the price - decided I'd rather spend the money on fabric. It does look as if they have good teachers.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
The Academy of Quilting is operated by Ruth Blanchet, a long time teacher at Quilt U with many additional accomplishments.

Here's her bio from AofQ
http://www.academyofquilting.com/faculty/ruth-blanchet/
and her bio from QU (page down)
http://www.quiltuniversity.com/meetfaculty.htm

Some excellent QU teachers are moving to the Academy of Quilting, and some equally excellent teachers are not. Not all have decided yet. And, yes, of course it's international in scope.

It is completely unfair to say the name of her teaching site sounds "very elite (sic) with quilt police". That's like saying Craftsy sounds unprofessional and sloppy.
I have taken two of Ruth's classes when she was with QU, and I enjoyed them both - and they were well constructed. My avatar is from one of Ruth's classes.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:46 AM

I am very hesitant to take classes from a general teaching site that is run by someone who sells other things elsewhere (patterns, etc). I wonder how much autonomy Blanchet is going to give the other instructors after being in complete control of the curriculum of every class for so long.

One of the great things about Quilt University is/was that that's all they do/did, teach classes. No sales of anything hanging in the background somewhere and you never felt like they were recommending something in which they had a financial interest. I'm going to take one or two final classes before they close down. They will be missed, that's for sure.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:33 AM

I took two classes on QU from Nancy Chong on appliqué. They were very well done. No videos like Craftsy but pages and pages of detailed instructions and diagrams as well as teacher availability for questions. I found them both to be very good. I don't know if the new site will be like this or more video oriented.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:30 AM

I really don't see the advantage of paid classes. There are hundreds of free ones on u-tube and I found a lot of very helpful ones there. You can put them in your "favorites" for repeat viewing if you want to.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:07 AM

This sounds interesting.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:38 AM

Dunster, I fell in love with your quilt. I just purchased the pattern. I agree quilters need both kinds of websites. I enjoy Craftsy classes and I plan to take Academy of Quilting when a class appeals to me. We are so blessed to have the resources to pursue our passion.