Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kits with problems >

Kits with problems

Kits with problems

Old 09-01-2013, 07:02 PM

I have purchased a few kits over the years, but rarely make the quilt as the pattern shows, so I almost always wind up throwing in a few of my own fabrics. Half the time I just buy the kits on sale because I like the fabrics in them, so I wouldn't know if the kit was short or not. The only thing I've ever done straight from the kit was a purse from Connecting Threads and there was nearly enough fabric in that kit to make the pattern twice.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:44 AM

I have bought numerous kits...mostly from Connecting Threads and have never had this happen. Guess I've been lucky!!
Old 09-02-2013, 04:23 AM

I bought a kit at a quilt show. When I started to cut it out, noticed there were two different cuts of fabric missing. I tried to contact the vendor, to no avail. So I will never buy a kit, except at my local quilt store or stand there and dissemble the kit to make sure all the pieces are there.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:26 AM

I did one kit and there was enough fabric for everything but the instructions were awful! Kinda soured me on kits.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:05 AM

I have purchased quilt kits from LQS & they were generous at first then started getting stingy with cuts. I now buy kits from Quilters Quarters for most popular kits & Connecting Threads - no problem
Old 09-02-2013, 06:13 AM
Lyn

I purchased a kit and not only was I short changed on fabric but there had been substitutions. No where on the write up did it say substitutions. When I called the shop that I bought it from they said the kit was on sale and I should expect it.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:45 AM

Gee I must lucky because I've done 3 kits so far, from 3 different quilt shops and had plenty of fabric. Two were from Pleasant Valley Quilts in Armstrong B.C., and Traditional Pastimes in Calgary Alberta. Both are great shops. Can't remember the name of the third shop.

Last edited by My time; 09-02-2013 at 06:47 AM. Reason: error
Old 09-02-2013, 08:04 AM

I have quit buying kits for this reason.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:14 AM

I have had that happen to me when just purchasing fabric for a quilt. Did you try straightening the grain by stretching the opposite diagonals. My Home Ec. teacher taught us that eons ago. It works then you don't waste all of that fabric and your goods are truly straight of grain. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjlNkmDX9OM
Old 09-02-2013, 08:14 AM

I only did one quilt from a kit and it was because I won the kit in our guild drawing. It was really a cute quilt, pine trees, etc. but the fabric was horrible. Instead of doing it as large as I should have, I cut it down to a large wall hanging or small quilt. It looked ok when I finished but I don't think I would ever buy a kit because of this experience. The fabric was very misshapen and no matter what I did, it fought me.