Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Baby Quilt - Batting??? Your Suggestions? >

Baby Quilt - Batting??? Your Suggestions?

Baby Quilt - Batting??? Your Suggestions?

Old 09-03-2013, 08:15 AM
Power Poster

If you use the flannel make sure you wash it to shrink it first.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:02 AM

The deal about the polyester melting (as it was explained to me) is that if it melts on the skin it will stick to the skin creating a worse burn where as cotton turns to ash and can be brushed off - less severe burn.

I believe Jan is right about the hotness of some batting. When my boys were babies I always did layers rather than one thick item.

I always wondered about the distance on quilting versus tying. If it bunches up when it's not quilted close enough there's a lot of area not secured with tying.

I like flannel because you just need to anchor it. I also like to tac it with my sewing machine if it's a small quilt rather than tying it.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:42 PM

Thanks to all for the answers I have received. I never imagined there could be so many different items to use but I knew this board would come through with great answers. I will look at all the different possibilities you have given me and try to make a good decision.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
there are lots of great battings on the market- just find one that is good for tied quilts (in some minds tied are more dangerous for babies than which batting is used-choking hazard)
I had thought about that possibility with the ties. The DG I am making this for wants ties. She had an aunt that made quilts and they were always tied. Brings her the warm fuzzies to know this will be tied.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:49 PM

I usually use warm and natural or warm and white. another idea is to use fleece- it can be batting and back all in one. Makes a soft cuddly quilt
Old 09-03-2013, 01:01 PM

I personally think 2 layers is enough for baby or toddler, I have only made 2 baby ones but both cotton top with cotton flannel backing ( so soft) and did the bag method rather than binding on those. Easy.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:46 PM
Power Poster

I use warm and natural.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:43 PM

My kids are in their late 20's to early 30's and I still have quilts that I made for them years and years ago. I made nice thick "floor quilts," using a thick polyester batting or two layers of regular batting. I used these in the bottom of the playpen or as a play quilt. I tied them every 4 inches or so, in both directions. They are still nice enough for grandkids to use. I mostly used baby yarn for the ties and double-knotted them.

I used a very light and thin batting for crib quilts and cuddle quilts. The polyester batting seems to have worn better over the years. The cotton battings are a little worn/lumpy after 10 years or so of laundering. The flannel interlining has held up well, also. I like using flannel in the middle between the top and a backing. Flannel as a backing gets pretty pilled after many washings. It is lovely for a while, but it turns rough (or at least mine did).

I still have around 8 quilts I made so many years ago. They aren't very fancy but they hold many special memories.