Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
More About Irons - - >

More About Irons - -

More About Irons - -

Old 09-04-2013, 05:30 PM

I bought a dry iron from Old Vermont Store, its great and I Use it mainly for pressing applique but found all my steam irons leak so I use this iron all the time now. I think it cost $39 or such.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:53 PM

I bought this dry iron based on a recommendation from this forum and I LOVE IT. I have never had a dry iron until I bought this one and it is the best iron I have ever had. I highly recommend it for all quilters.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:23 PM

Smile

reading this thread reminded me of my Mom's dry iron that was heavy, hot and so old that it had a cord that had a woven covering. My brother-in-law, who irons a shirt daily, LOVED this iron and when my Mom died this past Dec, we found the iron in a cabinet with a slip of paper with his name on it. It brought back lots of childhood memories for my sis and I--learning to iron with pillow cases and my Dad's hankerchiefs, my Mom using a 7-Up bottle with a sprinkler stopper to dampen the clothes and then placed in a plastic bag overnite to prepare to iron--all things that younger folks won't experience. I think the iron is at least 50 yr old and still works.

Myself--I love steam and just use a cheap iron bought at Walmart--had it for years now, dropped a couple of times, and still works. Only think I would change is I'd like it a little heavier so it did more of the work and me, less.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:26 PM

I've been very happy with my ~$10 iron from the $ store. In the past I've had to replace irons because of leakage etc but this one has been wonderful.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
reading this thread reminded me of my Mom's dry iron that was heavy, hot and so old that it had a cord that had a woven covering.
It brought back lots of childhood memories for my sis and I--learning to iron with pillow cases and my Dad's hankerchiefs, my Mom using a 7-Up bottle with a sprinkler stopper to dampen the clothes and then placed in a plastic bag overnite to prepare to iron--all things that younger folks won't experience.
Wow! Those are "my" memories, also. Ironing handkerchieves, then moving on to learning how to properly iron shirts, then pants, etc.

I think my mother's sprinkling bottle was an empty ketchup bottle...lol...and roll everything up, stick it in a bag, then off to the 'icebox' (it was really a refrigerator but my mother always called it an icebox) until she had a chance to iron them.

My first paying job (@ age 15) was ironing the dresses, shirts and pants of the elderly residents of the nursing home that my mother worked at. I think I was paid a dime per item!!
Old 09-05-2013, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
I have been using a Rowenta Travel Iron since Feb. It is light, does not have the auto-off button, uses water if needed. I LOVE it. I can also set it up next to my sewing machine on a TV table to press my squares as I sew. I just purchased curtains & plugged in my full-size Rowenta to press them. The full-size Rowenta leaked. It was so heavy. I weighed it w/out water & it was 3.5 lbs! The next day I ironed with my travel iron & was very happy. The travel iron did not leak - one fill-up ironed a 50"x 84" curtain.

Thanks, Marilee
I use a travel iron for pressing my seams. Its a Black & Decker and it has to be at least 15 years old. I found it in the closet about a year ago so it didn't have many hours on it. The heat is fantastic and it does a great job. I dread the day it goes out on me. I do need a bigger, better iron for pressing seams once I get past the quilt blocks.

Last edited by smokymtnquilter; 09-05-2013 at 04:30 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:19 AM

I think I've tried just about every kind of iron including the Rowenta. They ALL leaked after a while. THEN I found the Rowenta steam generator - pricey but LOVED it. Lasted approx. 10 years. Tried to replace it with a regular steam iron - missed my huge bursts of steam so I bought another Rowenta steam generator. LOVE it. Of course you can't take it with you as the reservoir has to sit on a table near where you're ironing but that's OK. Never leaks cause there's nothing in the iron itself. Pull the trigger & I have all the steam I want.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:39 AM

I have a 5 or 6 year old LauraStar Steam Generator and have had really good luck with it. I had a Rowenta and a couple Bernina irons and none of them lasted like the steam generators that I've had. I like that it has a wide range of temps that you can steam at and I also love the huge bursts of steam. Since I do wearables and clothing, good steam is a must have. If you are just pressing quilt squares this probably wouldn't be as important to you. However, you can steam drapes without taking them off the rods. I swear you could steam the wallpaper off the walls with this thing.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:40 PM

I have a proctor Silex iron that I bought in 1985. It just started to not get as hot as it used to yesterday. I made the comment that I might have to finally replace it. It to is a steam iron, but I've never had it to leak. Wish I could find another one that would last that long.