Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The "SYE" Spike your English  BOM  Quilt-Along- September >

The "SYE" Spike your English BOM Quilt-Along- September

The "SYE" Spike your English BOM Quilt-Along- September

Old 09-05-2013, 05:34 AM

GGal, if there's a DOLLAR TREE store nearby go there for their pad paper...60/1.00...works fine for me...
Old 09-05-2013, 06:53 AM

All this talk about what papper to use since we started ... started me thinking about the "perfect" paper - tears easy, translucent, can withstand repeated sewing lines (in the event of oopsies - see my last paragraph) ...

I've used Carol Doaks and it's OK. Mostly I use plain copy paper with a small stitch length and I have no problem tearing it away, but I would like more translucency to see the placement of the pieces (I'm using dark heavy fabrics).

So yesterday I investigated the paper stash here at the office. I work for a company that makes large overhead cranes, so we have a ton of engineers and a ton of engineering drawings. The drawings are on transluscent paper ... BIG sheets of paper (think blue print size).

I found the paper and quizzed one of the engineers on how to use it. He walked over to the BIG copy (laser) machine, pressed a button and presto-bango it printed. And here I thought they had a "special" printer for it - no it's a regular copier - just BIG. So ... if I trim the stuff down I should not have a problem feeding it through my laser printer. He rolled up about 20 sheets (each sheet is 34 x 22 - so that's 8 sheets each x 20 = 160) and I brought them home last night.

I'm waiting for them to post the September block so I can try it out

On the same subject ....

I keep the paper on the block to sew each unit together with a long basting stitch. I then flip and check to make sure I matched correctly, if so, I stitch again (over the baste) with a small stitch length (if not ...riiiip and re-baste). I then remove the paper JUST along the seam line and I press my seams open. I may trim some of the bulkier areas. The remaining paper stays in the block for now. Repeat with each successive unit until all 6 units are together. I then remove all of the paper and press the block to make sure it's flat (you really can't check for flatness with the paper intact).

Also on the same subject .... my *record* for the number of times I have sewn the same seam in paper piecing (because of a mis-placed piece of fabric) is NINE times. Not my proudest moment
Old 09-05-2013, 09:33 AM

Love all the blocks, each is so different!!! Thanks for letting us admire all your work!!!!
Old 09-05-2013, 01:16 PM

JuanitaBean, I removed the paper after each pie shape was complete (before I put the 6 pieces together). I did, however, cut the pie shapes exactly to size before I ripped the paper off. I have one rotary cutter that I reserve for using the blade on paper. I may pin next time, though, because if you look at my block you can see that I didn't get the sections perfectly matched up. And even worse, I put them together two-by-two which created one inset seam (stupid!).
Old 09-05-2013, 02:17 PM

Thanks for all your help. Got paper from .99 store Printed paper looks like its going to work. I got #1 & #2 done cutting out #3.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:54 PM

That's what I treasure about this group and QB; they truly help and extend their friendship to other quilters. They welcome questions and more people working in this project. You all are the greatest!
Old 09-05-2013, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by JuanitaBean View Post
Thanks for all your help. Got paper from .99 store Printed paper looks like its going to work. I got #1 & #2 done cutting out #3.
Sounds like your are moving right along. I've gotta get started on Block 2, I've got the fabric picked out for it.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:09 PM

Yes trying to stay on top of this PP. I've never done a whole pp quilt before so I'm trying to stay on top of it. When will we get cutting instructions for #3 & #4. I tried but I was not sure if I was doing it right so I stopped. Thank you for all you guys help. I'm enjoying this so far.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:12 PM

Omg...what wonderful blocks so far. I haven't been able to get online much but just did some catch-up reading and hope to get started on my blocks real soon. I have been shopping my small stash and see some possibilities. Just have to wait until my shoulder is well enough to use my rotory cutter, soon I hope. Until then I'll just follow along and enjoy all your beauties.
Hugs
Gail
Old 09-05-2013, 09:07 PM

quilthappygail - you don't need your rotary cutter for PPing! Just cut of a few inches at a time with your scissors. The pieces are pretty small on these blocks! Go for it!