Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Strange question -- I could be a real meanie I suppose.... >

Strange question -- I could be a real meanie I suppose....

Strange question -- I could be a real meanie I suppose....

Old 09-06-2013, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Stitch124 View Post
I'm making a quickie rag quilt for a baby gift using Jo-Ann's pre-cut FQ flannel bundle.

Not concerned about shrinkage issue that much, but just wondering if anyone can tell me if I should wash the FQs first. They are blues, pinks, greens, yellows, purples. Not dark, not pastel, sort of medium color. Question #1 - If I make the squares 5", how many squares should I end up with and how big will the blanket be?

Now confession time: I'm making it for someone I really don't care for, but I feel the obligation because it's someone in my DH family. I frankly don't care if it shrinks or not. Just thinking it would be nice for the baby to drag around and nap with. Not concerned about impressing the parents, so I'm not going to a lot of trouble on this one.

Question #2 - Have you ever felt obligated to make a gift and didn't really care to much about the outcome?
If you're going to make the quilt, I think you should do your best because it shows your skills and your quilting reputation. However, if I just could not do it because of the strong feelings, I would buy a gift and never think a thing about it. If they are as unfriendly as you think, they probably wouldn't appreciate it anyway. JMO.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:39 PM

the pattern I used for a rag quilt said not to prewash anything, because you will be washing it over and over and over again to make the fringe loose its threads. I just finished two of them and they came out great, nice and soft. good luck have fun always yippie PS it will shrink alot at least mine did.

Last edited by yippie; 09-06-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:52 PM

I understand what you mean about feeling obligated to make a quilt. I started making them for all of my nieces and nephews for their first baby. Too many to make one for their second and third ones. There are 16 on my DH side and 12 on my side. I do make them for every one of them , but I do somewhat choose my pattern based on how I feel about them. Some of them I only see or hear from when it is time for a wedding or baby shower or things like that. They don't even come to the family Christmas party. I understand if they have other commitments. But they never come. Maybe some will feel this is wrong but that is how I do it.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:05 PM

I would see what they have registered and just buy something. If it's not made with love as a gift, it's not worth doing, IMO. Besides, probably the feelings are mutual, and it will be unlikely that the parents will be duly appreciative of your work. They might just stuff it in a closet if it doesn't go with their decor.

If you do want to make a rag quilt, I wouldn't bother with prewashing. I think you get more of the raggy effect if there's some shrinkage.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:43 PM

Look at it this way... the baby will LOVE it, and it will be a constant reminder to the mother of what a wonderful, caring person you are... her constant thorn in the flesh. <VBG>
Old 09-06-2013, 05:04 PM

I agree with alleyoop1 that any quilt I make reflects my workmanship so I will always do my best regardless of who it is for. And as others have said, make it for the baby. They are the innocent party here. Don't let your relationship with the parents (or lack thereof) affect the baby. You never know how much one act of kindness can affect another. .
Old 09-06-2013, 06:48 PM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
The flannel should be fine without washing *if* you are cutting 5" squares *and* quilting an X through each block. If you are not quilting the X, then definitely prewash the flannel. Quilting ties the flannel to the batting. When you have sufficient quilting (which I think an X through a 5" block would provide, assuming the batting is Warm and Natural), once the block is quilted the flannel will not be able to shrink more than the batting. If you were cutting 10" squares and machine quilting an X, this would not be enough to prevent some of the flannel from shrinking more than the batting.

My thought, to be honest, is that the quilt is for the child (not the parents), so I would still enjoy making it. Also, if I thought about it, the child is likely to love the quilt and drag it around for years -- making a wonderful way of daily reminding the not-so-likeable-adult of me.

I so totally agree with Prism .. its for the child not the adult ...SO have fun with it !
Old 09-06-2013, 07:02 PM

I would make the quilt and as it was being made, I would say prayers, especially, for the baby to grow, be well and strong, and to have the blessings of God on him/her. I would also pray for the family and all the members as well and ask the Lord to draw them close to Him and bless them. God bless you and may you make the right decision that eases you and gives you peace about the situation...
Old 09-07-2013, 04:08 AM

The bible says its no credit to love those who love us. And your best workmanship may witness to these people the love of Christ. Wouldn't that be awesome.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:19 AM

Forget the adults. This is for a Baby. Do your Best