Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do machine needles get too old to use? >

Do machine needles get too old to use?

Do machine needles get too old to use?

Old 09-07-2013, 05:03 AM
Power Poster

I have yet to have a needle break but now that I've typed this they probably will now in the very near future especially since I'm working on Christmas projects.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:08 AM

I had the same breakage on 2 Schmetz needles from the same pack just last week. I couldn't figure out what I may have done wrong. Good to know it was probably the needles, not me.

Originally Posted by jul12 View Post
Duds - I've used Schmetz needles for years, but couple of months ago I had 3 needles (TS 80/12) from the same pack of 5 break within four days. Chucked the other two. Very odd though to get that in the same pack as I imagine thousands of them come down the production line and go randomly into packs. Not had a problem with any others since either.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:58 AM

My distributor, Banash's told me the Schmeta and Organ needles are now manufactured by same company. The cost and packaging are the difference.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:02 AM

Perhaps your machine needed a good cleaning/service at the same time. If you get a lot of lint build-up it will tweek your needle or maybe if they weren't up in the shaft far enough, that would affect the timing. Just a thought.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
There was a store that gave me a lot of frustration. Other people were bashing that store. I wanted to join them, but believed that wouldn't help the situation. Eventually it went out of business and no one has any word of where the owners are. Even though I disagreed with their policies, they are still valuable people with feelings.

We can be very quick to criticize and the word spreds fast. And there's always 2 sides to every story. On the other hand, praise is seldom given and rarely spreds. We only have our own experience and it's filtered through our own set of values. So I'm glad this site doesn't allow negativity. It doesn't cheer anyone up. I've gotten caught when having a bad day, had threads deleted and been the better for the accountability.

Instead, I like when people are specific why they like a product or don't like a product. Then I can check it out and choose for myself.
If a business consistently scams its customers, it deserves to be "bashed."
Old 09-07-2013, 07:18 PM

When my auto threader no longer threads it's a great notification it's time for a new needle (means it is worn and is slightly bent for my machine). I use the Schmetz needles and have not had issues to date. Thanks for letting me know of the possibility of a 'bad batch'.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:07 PM

I always buy several packages of needles at one time and I have never had a "new" that's been in my sewing box for a long time break due to age.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
and that you should never use a Universal needle for piecing. May have been Supeior Threads web site, not sure.
So, what needle size should you use for strip piecing cotton quilting fabric? I've been using singer universal 14/90. Just bought first pack of Schmetz 90/14 universal. What is difference of the quilting versus the universal 90/14? My pack is still unopened and can be returned.
Thanks!
(am I supposed to ask clarifying question in a thread or start a new post?)
Old 09-07-2013, 10:07 PM

I match the needle size to the thread. I usually use Aurifil (50wt) or Bottom Line (60 wt) for piecing. That wt thread would take a 70/10. I've been using universal. Recently I discovered microtex (sharp) needles and prefer them. Having said all this, I have an inventory of 80/12 universal Schmetz needles that I'll use up.

Superior Threads has a pamphlet of needles and threads. It includes the difference of quilting, jeans, universal, embroidery, leather, microtex and metallic needles. I think that coveres it. I got my pamphlet from the Bernina dealership.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:46 PM

Thanks! I'll check out my local shop.