Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Looking for A Nice Community to Move To - Must Have Quilters!!! >

Looking for A Nice Community to Move To - Must Have Quilters!!!

Looking for A Nice Community to Move To - Must Have Quilters!!!

Old 09-08-2013, 06:29 AM

I haven't read all the posts, but I must put in my two cents worth for LaGrange County, Indiana. We have Lolly's and Yoder's Department stores, in Shipshewana. Plus there are several smaller independant LQS, Spectors, Pumpkin Vine in Middlebury, Homespun in LaGrange, Calico Corners near Wakarusa. And another one in Rome City. There is a JoAnn's in Angola, Dunlap/Goshen, Ft. Wayne, etc.

I've only see a couple of garter snakes here and I'm from Northern California where I have personally killed 3 diamond back rattlers with my bare paws. I'm a tough cookie, hence the Battle Axe.

Winter here is a medium deal, just have to plan for it and finish your UFOs. There is a Catholic Church in Shipshewana, and Parkview Hospital in LaGrange and Ft. Wayne. Bigger hospitals are in Indy. We get internet from Ligtel.

Marcia aka Battle Axe
Old 09-08-2013, 06:32 AM
Swap Hosts

Thanks to all for your thoughtful replies. I truly enjoyed reading them over my morning coffee. You each love where you live so much and that speaks volumes to the value of each spot. The search continues!
Old 09-08-2013, 07:24 AM

I think all are DOABLE except the SNAKES.

Any where East of Mississippi and South of Washington DC has SNAKES.

South Carolina is nice.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:04 AM

The Lancaster, PA area is a quilter's mecca. There are quilt and fabric shops on every corner -- well, maybe that's a slight exaggeratiion, but there are a lot of quilt shops. There are also lots of people here from Long Island. It seems this is a good retirement alternative for many New Yorkers because our taxes are lower. Many great Catholic churches. Never seen a snake. Occasional tornado warnings when bad thunder storms are in the offing, but I don't think there are too many places that are without some sort of bad weather. Far enough inland to dismiss the hurricane problem. No snakes. Please email me privately for a list of just some of the fabric stores and more specific info about Churches. I am a Maryland native and have lived in Lancaster County for 8 years and I have been extremely happy with our choice of location. Very large Amish and Mennonite communities here and EVERYONE is so kind and helpful. If you are pulling onto a main road from a side street, people actually stop and let you merger into traffic. I'm not making that up.....TRUE. We came from the Washington, D.C. area and that is a WONDERFUL place to be away from. Highly recommend this lifestyle. Really worth consideration!
Old 09-08-2013, 08:17 AM

Have you considered Oregon? We have no snakes at least around here and no sales tax. The housing market is excellent, lots of fabric stores and quilt shops, no sales tax, beautiful weather, maybe a week of heat in the summer and a week of cold in winter, etc.
Sally
Old 09-08-2013, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

No matter where you go you will have snakes. Every state has their share of poisonous/venomous snakes. Hurricanes spawn tornadoes. There is no guarantee of weather. Here in Corpus Christi, Texas, yes it get's hot but most have A/C. Depending on what you can/want to pay would determine on many factors. Usually, the poisonous snake are on the edge of town, the outskirts or where the new subdivisions are going up. If you want a mild winter where we had our last major snowfall which was a fluke back in 2004. On Christmas Day of 2004 we had 6 inches. It started snowing after midnight and was mostly gone by the next day. My roses were popping through the snow. There are many homes that have been renovated beautifully. If you pm me with your email and a price range, I can send you listings that would be move- in ready. We have many quilt shops and a couple guilds and Hancocks and JoAnn's. No matter where you live with a pond or stream you are going to have snakes. That is just a given.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:44 AM
Power Poster

Forgot to mention churches and hospitals are within 10 minute drives and to the mall and we also have a Hobby Lobby. Most of the stores are right off the freeway (South Padre Island Drive). We also have a couple of beaches some within walking distance of 1-4 blocks. Catholic churches are within 5-10 minutes from any area (subdivision). It's raining hard right now but no real fear of flooding except at the intersections of the SPID. Easy to get around. Where ever you decide to live, check on the HOAs (Home Owner Association) rules and regulations, if there is one in that particular area. Lots of grocery stores also. Couple Super WAlmarts and Sam's Club.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:59 AM

Bridgeport, WV fits your requirements. There are 6 very nice LQS within a 30 mile radius, like NC, four seasons and mild winters. Bridgeport has it all, the feel and quality of a small town (9,000), great new hospital built 5 miles out of town, only 4 hours from Washington, D.C. if you need some excitement. Good luck. You are very fortunate to be able to make the move and, most important, make the choice.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:22 AM

When you think Florida you probably think about south Florida. The Panhandle is altogether different. You don't have to be near the beach, inland is lovely, with lakes, springs and streams. I am north of Panama City, but just minutes away from two really great hospitals both rated in the top 100 in the country. Cost of living is very reasonable, no state income tax, lovely state parks, lots of outdoor activities available and most important lots of wonderful quilters. We have a great Guild here with lots of Bees to be part of as well if you chose. Our joanns store has just moved to a new location that is 3 times as large as the old one, we have Hobby Lobby and a wonderful Quilt Shop a nd of course Wal-Mart. we also have a small fabric shop that specializes in the type of fabrics you use for your veils, weddings and such. You know I was a Long Islander and I really am very happy here. The pace is a little slower, which bothered me at first. The food is great, learned that I liked things I never heard of before. Don't knock us out of consideration, by the way four Catholic Churches here.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:41 AM

we live in southern New England-love the area but we have high taxes and cost of living. We will be moving when my husband retires-to either Washington state or South Carolina. I voted for Washington-on the peninsula- but he has family in the South. Hate the humidity down there-we have 3-4 years to decide and sell our home.
We will end up where we are supposed to be-fate will decide with input for us.
Good luck in your search