Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Coroplast for fabric organization may be a mistake! >

Coroplast for fabric organization may be a mistake!

Coroplast for fabric organization may be a mistake!

Old 09-06-2013, 05:25 PM

I use comic book boards too. I have an old metal cabinet with doors that I keep it in because I worry about sunlight fading it.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:37 PM

Mine in folded and placed in plastic drawers - certainly not air tight. I like the looks of other sewing rooms with the fabric folded and on open book shelves but that just won't work in my sewing room. Just have to work with what we have!
Old 09-08-2013, 04:16 AM

To me the easiest, cheapest, and safest method to store my fabric is to do the ruler folding. I have storage closets with bi-fold doors (no slats), and stack my fabrics according to color. I also refold from time to time and try to "rotate the stock". I know not everyone can do this because of space restrictions, but it works for me.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:33 AM

I went to my local quilt store had them save some boards for me that the fabric comes on then cut in half to make about the same size as the comic boards folded my fabric to fit was free and recycled
Old 09-08-2013, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I purge my fabric every few years, getting rid of the oldest. I don't want to keep fabric for years unused.
I have used fabrics that are more than 50 years old and they are fine. I keep them in an air conditioned house in cupboards with doors on to keep out the light. Never had a problem. Inherited lots of fabrics from my mother and use them with great abandon. If you don't let them get faded from the light or live where they might mold from the humidity, I don't see why you would need to get rid of any of your fabrics.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Go with the easiest, cheapest, safest storage method that works efficiently for you and don't worry about it. Life's way to short to worry about this particular "what if". I guarantee you, whomever you give your finished quilts to isn't going to think about archival storage one little bit and you wouldn't want them to. You want them used, not archived, right?
I agree. I do have mine in various strorage boxes for projects but for long term it is folded neatly in one of my spare bedrooms for future use.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:07 PM

Some of my oldest fabrics are my favorites. I prewash all my fabrics and they are stored in plastic totes. The totes are not air tight. Most are under our beds because storage is short in my house.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:35 PM

I am on a really tight budget and would prefer to use money for fabric and not for the storage of that fabric. So I get the long pieces of cardboard that the fabric is originally wrapped on, and cut them about eight, or eight and a half inches long (I can usually get 4 per) and they are already about 5 or 6 inches wide. Then I fold my fabric - folded edge to selvage edge and wrap it around those cardboard pieces and put it on my shelves just like you would a book. It's very easy to get to, I can see everything I have, the colors are beautiful and I don't have to pull anything out from under something else. They are all side by side like a row of books. I've been doing this for several years now and although they get a little dust on the edges if I don't use that particular piece of fabric for a while, I have not noticed fading from windows or light. The fabric stores are happy to get rid of them and Im being eco-friendly using something that might otherwise go into a landfill. Works for me, even though it's not very high tech!
Old 09-08-2013, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
You can buy comic book boards for storing your fabric on. They are made for archiving comic book collections so I would assume they are acid free.
I'm actually not familiar with comic book boards. What weight (thickness) of paper/cardboard is it?