Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting substitute >

Batting substitute

Batting substitute

Old 09-08-2013, 04:54 PM

I buy mattress pads at the Goodwill to use as batting. I wash them, of course, and cut the sides off. Full size is 52x72 and they usually cost about $3.00 or less. This is a good size for a couch throw.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:38 AM

Angelika Monks, a very well known quilter over here, and a friend as she happens to live near me recommends this to all her quilters http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/54-White-C...item2303700a5c She does hand and machine quilting and says for hand quilting it is superb. I have used it for a couple of years and have bought it in various weights, you can also get a superb cotton one and it is a fraction of the price of the normal batting. Although it says only dry clean I ignored that and my quilts which are heavily used wash superbly with no problem at all.

I am afraid I must agree with the other ladies I wouldn't use felt on a quilt that has taken me so much time, I would rather use something like the above.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter View Post
I'm sorry about your daughters allergies. I would recommend asking anyone if they have allergies and what they are allergic to. No one that I know of in my family is allergic to wool. But, there are a lot of different allergies in my family. 2 relatives have a severe allergy to penicillin, myself and another cousin are allergic to nickel (you would not believe what problems this causes - like some sweaters have metallic yarn! One cousin had severe respiratory problems around perfume. One day we were shopping and two little old ladies walked by her smelling like they dumped the whole bottle on them. I had to drag my cousin out of the store into fresh air. It took her a few minutes to overcome it. Store employees would not have known what her problem was if she had been alone. This was over 45 years ago. Two of my youngest son's class mates when he was in elementary school had severe allergies to peanuts.

I'm saying all this because there are so many allergies out there. Some, like your daughter, the penicillin and peanut allergies can be deadly.

List the contents of the quilt on the quilt label.
Mercy, I sympathize with the perfume allergies. Fellow customers who bathe in loud perfume irritate me. Btu what makes me the maddest, is when an employee in a busines does it. I took my sis inlaw to the doctor's once and I had to wait in the hall because the receptionist smell the high heaven. Someone came out to the hall and told me there were seats in the waiting room---------and I told them there was too much perfume, too. Don't know what happened after that.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:12 PM

One of my favorite batting alternatives is quilted comforters from thrift shops and rummage sales. I got one free once because the blanket had body oil stains up by the top end. A dollar's worth of gereric oxy-clean soak and a round in the washer, and the thing is perfect for batting. And the great thing is that it was quilted so it's far more stable inside my work than store bought batting.