Lost Piece of Mail

Old 09-08-2013, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I would give it at least a week to arrive - - - -

Usually, mail does only take two or three days, but glitches have been known to happen.
Ditto to this! I had something mailed from northeast Philadelphia, PA to Holland, PA & it took a week. It's about a 10-15 minute to drive the same distance.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

Next time try not to be creative and maybe she will receive it. Might not hurt if it is just a card or letter. When making payment of some kind, I would want it delivered. Postal system sometimes have enough challenges.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:22 PM

I've done similar, but scotch-taped a hand written address 'label' over the name in the middle of the envelope, then put my return address in upper left corner.

Check your bank account statement to see if the check has been cashed. I am not suggesting that the person you sent it to you got it, cashed it, and is now lying to you. That would be beyond stupid, and quilters are way too smart to be that stupid! See my tale of woe, below.

I had a $900 check to my daughter go missing from the mail a few years ago. I believe it was stolen from her mailbox. (Not unheard of - after all someone stole my mailbox, post and all!) Whoever stole it took the check to the bank, forged my daughters signature on the back and cashed it. I got a copy of the canceled check: I have to tell you that the handwriting of the forged signature looked just like the handwriting of the teller who processed the transaction.

I did get my money back, but it took a while for the bank to return it to me. They had to 'investigate' the theft. I never heard whether they found the thief, but I did get the money back, so all ended well for me and my daughter.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:28 PM

The post office has become very rigid about items that don't fit the standard format. That could be the slow down. Maybe a more creative approach would help the post office stave off some of its red ink.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:15 PM

If you are re-using an envelope that has a bar code already on the bottom the mail will be sent to the bard code destination.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:43 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
I would stop payment on the check and send another.
the stop payment fee might cost more than the check itself. $30 and more is a fairly common fee.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:44 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
The post office has become very rigid about items that don't fit the standard format. That could be the slow down. Maybe a more creative approach would help the post office stave off some of its red ink.
If I was handling millions of pieces of mail a day, I would prefer the stuff be as standardized (and legible) as possible.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:27 PM

The only thing I can think of is that if the picture you drew was where the address usually is put and you put the address to the left of and lower than that area then the machine didn't read it. As it has been mentioned it's going to be delayed and the Labor day holiday could be one of the contributing factors.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:04 AM
GG

where did you mail it from home box or blue collection box?
Old 09-09-2013, 03:16 AM

My brother is a mailman and was just given a small box to deliver that was postmarked 1999. It was stamped with a note "lost in a supposedly empty machine." Give it a little more time. The other posters are correct that odd envelopes that cannot go thru regular machines are kicked out.