Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Hoping someone can advise me on cooling down the attic. >

Hoping someone can advise me on cooling down the attic.

Hoping someone can advise me on cooling down the attic.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:16 PM

We have 2 solar attic fans. They work with a thermostat that regulates the time they run; whenever the temperature is above 65. They were $850 each installed but here in Louisiana there is a 50% solar rebate that comes off of your state income taxes and you can also get some off on your federal taxes; it used to be 30% but that amount is changing. They really do help get rid of some of the heat.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:57 PM

I've had an attic exhaust fan for over 20 years and it has made a world of difference at little extra cost. I looked into solar versions when my first one died, but it would have taken longer than its expected life to pay back the price difference versus the regular thermostatically controlled ones. I do have an easily accessible on/off switch so in the spring or fall when it's warmer out than in I can turn the fan off and let that free heat warm the house.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:28 PM

They have invented a window film for keeping the hot sun out and the cold winter out; regulate the inside of the house. We put some on the south window and it works. We have two vents on each of the gables of the house and it works fine with drapes on the windows for winter. We live near I-20, Texas and have a hard north wind; no trees appx 60 mph sometimes more. Our electric for the CH/A during the hottest and the coldest times of the year run appx. $250.00 at the most. We are in process of putting the film on the rest of the windows. Hope this helps. Oh, a good insulating siding helps also. If you have a wooden house a false wall can be built outside with 2x4s lined with tar paper and then added insulation btwn the 2x4s and then siding.