Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
POWERFUL lightweight iron >

POWERFUL lightweight iron

POWERFUL lightweight iron

Old 09-12-2013, 08:05 AM

We have a store here (Ocean State Job Lot) that sells those Continental irons for $12.00. It's the same iron that the Vermont Country Store sells. I use one all the time and bought another as a backup just in case .
Old 09-12-2013, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by maryel View Post
Does any of you have a POWEFUL lightweight iron, one that heats up really hot but is not so heavy? My rowenta is loosing power and it's time for a new iron and was wondering if there was such a thing out there? Thanks in advance for your help.
Hi I just wish I could buy one of those irons that switch off after a time. So often when I go back into my sewing room the next day , oh dear the iron is still on. !!!
Old 09-12-2013, 09:02 AM

Default panasonic cordless

I have tried sooo many irons. Now have a Panasonic cordless that I love. It is lightweight, gets nice and hot, and maintains its heat while it is off its base. The base sits on the shelf at the end of my ironing board. It is so handy not to have the cord in the way and dragging on things while ironing. I got the best price on Amazon.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:05 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
Last year I bought a cheapie B&D that I have really liked. However a couple of weeks ago it wouldnt heat up. I knew it had a 2 year warranty so I contacted the company. In order to get a replacement I was told to cut the cord off then send it in with $7.50. I only paid 13.00 for the iron. I figured by the time I packed up the cord, paid postage and add $7.50, it wasnt worth dealing with it. Some warranty! I have been plugging my irons in a power strip and turning them on and off by flipping the switch. Three times I have had problems with irons not heating up. They turn on but dont heat. Once with this B&D and twice with my Reliable. Come to find out I was blowing the irons fuse by doing this. Now I turn the iron off the old fashioned way!

Uh-oh. I've been turning my iron off by flipping the power strip switch, too.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

I think it's kind of funny that we have to look for dry irons now.
I remember when steam irons came out - and they were quite the big deal then.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:12 AM

Glad you asked the question. I'll be watching, too. Rowentas are too heavy for me, too.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
Last year I bought a cheapie B&D that I have really liked. However a couple of weeks ago it wouldnt heat up. I knew it had a 2 year warranty so I contacted the company. In order to get a replacement I was told to cut the cord off then send it in with $7.50. I only paid 13.00 for the iron. I figured by the time I packed up the cord, paid postage and add $7.50, it wasnt worth dealing with it. Some warranty! I have been plugging my irons in a power strip and turning them on and off by flipping the switch. Three times I have had problems with irons not heating up. They turn on but dont heat. Once with this B&D and twice with my Reliable. Come to find out I was blowing the irons fuse by doing this. Now I turn the iron off the old fashioned way!
I try to buy as much as possible at Bed Bath & Beyond a they have a fantastic return policy. I have my Shark stem cleaner replace twice. 2nd time was with no receipt & I had purchased the cleaner over 2 yrs. prior to the return.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:51 AM

I'm with quilting/golfer, the cheaper the better.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Suzette316 View Post
I love that you get that it's the heat, not the weight that gets the job done with our pressing!

I too have a Rowenta (a gift from hubby about five years ago) that gets plenty hot, but it is a heavy bugger! I have had Black & Decker irons in the past that get very hot, but are lightweight. I got them at Walmart and was very happy with them. You might try going there (or to a similar store) and pick them up and see what you think about the weight.

Since I don't use steam in my iron (I use a spritzer bottle if I want the steam effect), my next iron will be this one:
http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/s...Dry_Iron/42277
For all of you who own one of these, I watched the video and it said it was nice and heavy. Heavy is one of the things I'm trying to get away from. My Rowenta is heavy. Could someone tell me how heavy it is? Thanks.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:56 PM

I found a great dry iron at Habitat for Humanity........older but in great condition. . . think I paid $2 for it.