Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Glide is now my machine quilting thread of choice. >

Glide is now my machine quilting thread of choice.

Glide is now my machine quilting thread of choice.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:52 PM
Power Poster

Default Glide is now my machine quilting thread of choice.

I started fmqing a crib quilt this morning and didn't have one thread breakage or tension problems. I'm finished with the quilt. I had bought Glide in an unusual color (on sale) and it was the exact color I needed for this quilt. I remember how much I like the thread from last time I used it and why I didn't continue is anyone's guess. I'm machine quilting using Brother 1500 machine. Glide will be the thread I use for machine quilting.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:11 PM

I just looked up the website and it looks like a really new high-tech product for machine quilting.

Have you tried their Premo-soft? It says it can go from piecing to long-arm quilting, plus it can do serger and bobbins. It has a matte finish and looks like cotton. And it makes your 1/4" seams perfect too!!! Kidding on that one. But it sounds terrific. It is spun polyester.

Oh oh the quit police will be after them for not piecing with cotton!
Old 09-12-2013, 02:40 PM
Power Poster

I love Glide too! Tried several threads in my Voyager frame setup but Glide was the most trouble-free. Plus I like the little bit of sparkle it adds to my quilts.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:20 PM

I just received my first spool of Glide and am anxious to try it. I'm curious about using the Premo-soft Spun poly thread for piecing. Is there ever a problem when ironing the poly thread? I've always used the cotton for piecing because I was afraid the poly might melt if I have the iron set for cotton.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:27 PM
Power Poster

I haven't used the Premo-soft, but I have used polyester thread for piecing. What I did was lay a few strands on some fabric and iron it repeatedly on the hottest setting of my iron. Nothing happened to it, so I figured it would be fine for piecing. Polyester is made in different ways, so I don't know if all polyester thread can take that much heat, but I know it does have a fairly high tolerance for heat -- more than nylon thread.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:33 PM

I love the glide thread. I have 1 cone of the permasoft and have almost used it all. Not a single problem yet. I rarely use anything but glide in my hobbyquilter. I have started using the bobbins in my singer curvy 8770. I do have to turn them upside down to get the direction right but they work so well.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:37 PM

So is this thread for long arm machines only or do you also use it in your domestic sewing machine as well? Another question, do any shops carry this thread or do you have to order on line only? I have never heard of this thread. Might be worth trying out soon.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:37 PM

Thanks, Bella. It's time for me to try something new in my 1500, too. I'm results are OK, but I am to the point I think I need to try a different thread to get a better look. Where is the best place to get some to test out?
Old 09-12-2013, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
Thanks, Bella. It's time for me to try something new in my 1500, too. I'm results are OK, but I am to the point I think I need to try a different thread to get a better look. Where is the best place to get some to test out?
Call http://www.bobbincentral.com at 1.888.924.3224 and ask to purchase a spool or two to bypass the $35 minimum order. They are very accommodating. I just received mine today. I haven't tried it yet, but hope to this weekend. I wanted to try it out first to make sure it works well with my Juki before I put in a larger order.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:37 PM

I love Glide but I'm going to try 40wt So Fine on a Client quilt for a more matte look.