Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique >

Applique

Applique

Old 09-13-2013, 04:55 AM

I love using this method if machine sewing the circles to back ground, fast and easy especially if you have a lot of them to do: http://summeratgrandmashouse.blogspo...7/circles.html

I did this for a king size bed spread!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]435692[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1663a.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	435692  
Old 09-14-2013, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by GagaSmith View Post
This is my favorite method for applique (circles or other shapes). I do not have the templates used in this video--Cut them using any template you like. I also use the VERY lightweight fusible pellon instead of the non fusible they use. Make sure you put the pellon so the sticky side will be outside after you turn it right side out. You could cut away most of it if you like, just leave it around the edges. I machine applique around the edges.
I love the hint they give to cut with pinking shears so you don't have to cut slices all around the circle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7P0uzhF6uc
This is the method I use for larger circles and it really does make a nice circle. If it were my quilt I would cut out the back, it will lay much flatter when you go to sandwich the quilt. Also allows you to remove the pellon as well.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by GagaSmith View Post
This is my favorite method for applique (circles or other shapes). I do not have the templates used in this video--Cut them using any template you like. I also use the VERY lightweight fusible pellon instead of the non fusible they use. Make sure you put the pellon so the sticky side will be outside after you turn it right side out. You could cut away most of it if you like, just leave it around the edges. I machine applique around the edges.
I love the hint they give to cut with pinking shears so you don't have to cut slices all around the circle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7P0uzhF6uc
I'm with you. I've made the mock cathedral window quilt quite a few times. I don't have the templates either. I use the olfa circle cutter which makes perfect circles up to 8 1/2 inches. One variation to the pellon method (fusible or not) is to cut a window (fons and porter) in the fusible if you don't want the bulk. After you turn the circle inside out ready to attach, you can trim away most of the fusible except for a half in or so and that keeps the circle perfect but eliminates the bulk. I use this method for different applique shapes not just circles. I can't draw or cut a straight line so I had to do something!! lol.

Also, to sew the circle-tape a thumbtack point side up on the machine the radius distance from the needle. Put the fabric center on the thumbtack and the circle pretty much sews itself if you don't have a circle attachment. sew on a tack, pink the edges and trim the "window". Circles go pretty quickly, lay flat and are nice and round. Have fun.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:31 PM

I made a circle quilt block and I didn't cut the back out the circle but I sure wish I had. It made for a very thick layer to try to quilt through. I'll definetly cut the circle back next time I make this circle quilt.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:50 AM

Oh Feline, that is gorgeous, love it..

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I did not cut away the background fabric on this quilt. I prepared my circles the way the link you provided shows. I hand appliqued my circles instead of machine sew them as I wanted a nice travel/hand project. It was heavy but I also double batted it so that added to the weight as well. I didn't quilt on the circles though. My circles were only 5". On other applique I have cut away the background.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]435594[/ATTACH]
Old 09-15-2013, 07:51 AM

OH my, another pretty quilt. I love circles..

Originally Posted by kallii View Post
I love using this method if machine sewing the circles to back ground, fast and easy especially if you have a lot of them to do: http://summeratgrandmashouse.blogspo...7/circles.html

I did this for a king size bed spread!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]435692[/ATTACH]
Old 09-17-2013, 10:53 AM

Thanks for all the replies. Lots to think about.