Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I made a good decision >

I made a good decision

I made a good decision

Old 09-13-2013, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I made a couple wall hangings and pillow covers. Then my daughter wanted a quilt, she picked the pattern, colors, fabric, everything. To this day that is the only bed sized quilt I have hand quilted - too many years as a secretary and carpal tunnel won out, so took a class in machine quilting. The rest, as they say, is history. My Mom quilted, although none of her quilts survived 7 kids, 5 of which were boys, although there were other quilters in the extended family. I've sewn since I was 7 years old, although I didn't learn how to read a pattern until high school, and after trying fabric painting, oil painting, every imaginable craft there was, crocheting, knitting and ceramics, quilting was the only craft that really stuck to me. Now I make family reunion quilts every 2 years, picking a color and family members sending fabric, so I shall live on with my quilts, which my family loves.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:43 AM

This is a wonderful thread. I really enjoyed reading everyone's stories of how they got started making quilts and just had to add my own. I just started last fall, when my 84-year old mom wanted to quilt a top that her deceased sister had made. She asked me if I could mark it, because that is what my aunt did for her. I had no clue what it meant, even less how to do it, so I went to Joann's and purchased an encyclopedia of quilt blocks and a reference on learning how to quilt. I didn't even have a working machine, so I asked for one for Xmas from my DH. I wound up making Mom a Sunbonnet Sue and Sam lap quilt for her to quilt and had my aunt's quilt done by a pro, since Mom treasures the quilt her sister made. We didn't have enough fabric for the quilt back so I had to piece that too. Less than a year later, my favorite thing to do now is to visit fabric stores. I already have a stash built up with fabric, quilt books and patterns and all the tools and equipment I could ever use, and even upgraded to a Babylock. I love the creativity of selecting fabrics and hope to get to the point where I can design my own quilts on my EQ7. I got the fever.... LOL
Old 09-13-2013, 10:49 AM

Like Tartan, I wanted a quilt but couldn't afford one and in the meantime, decided to make a baby quilt for my godchild. That was four months ago and I am hooked! It's very relaxing for me EXCEPT when I lop off the tip of my left thumb when my rotary cuter slipped!!! That happened Sunday night! I should post a picture if my "new thumb"! It's wrapped in all sorts if gauze and dressing gets changed 3x a day! Argh! But other than that? Yeah, I love quilting! LOL
Old 09-13-2013, 12:44 PM

Thank you ladies, I have so enjoyed your stories. The fact is I can't ever remember not being a quilter. My Grandma was a do-er, she crocheted, canned, embroidered, and a million other things; but she was always working on a quilt in some stage. I think the first quilt I made was a yo-yo quilt for my doll, it also served as a dress and night gown. I must of been four or so, so Gram said. So it was no surprise to my family that I am a quilter now. Pretty much Gram and self taught. Joined a guild almost ten years ago, and have improved 100 fold, they have taught me so much, and the classes have done me a world of good. But, you gals are the greatest learning experience of all, you all have so many varied ideas on how to do things, and ideas on how to make things easier, or prettier, that I would say you make it a creative experience just to read your input on here. I always leave here feeling so creative, so thank you to each and everyone of you. Lucinda

Last edited by kwiltkrazy; 09-13-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:49 PM

I took home economics in high school but really only learned how to use a sewing machine (my mother worked outside the home all her life and did not sew; we never had a machine). During my first job out of high school, I bought my own machine--a 99K Singer which I still have--and taught myself to sew mainly so that I could have clothes that fit (I had a small waist but was--am--hippy; my Dutch ancestry!). For years I made all my own clothes, baby clothes, curtains, etc., and once even made my husband a suit.

My grandmother had been a quiltmaker and I had friends who were quilters so I was interested but had no extra time while raising my family and working. When I retired I bought some fabric and, knowing nothing, made my first quilt, a simple 9 patch. Then, following a health issue I discovered that cutting, piecing, and putting together a quilt was excellent therapy......and so I'm still at it!

I've learned a lot since that first 9 patch! And I learned most of it from the internet, including this board. I laugh now when I think how little I knew when I began; even experienced sewers discover quilting is different from clothesmaking and requires different, often more precise, skills.

Last edited by Friday1961; 09-13-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:18 PM

I have to gave all the credit or blame to my mother-in-law. I have done just about ever craft out they for years. my grandmother was our 4-H sewing leader, my mom sew everthing for herself and us four kid until we girls could do it our self. we spend will summer sewing the fair and school in the fall. they when I get hitch. my mother-in-law was quilting with a group of ladies so you know I had to gave it a try. that was 38 years ago have ,not stop yet. and just had a quilt that I quilting for a ladie. won the "best Hand quilting" at the show she took at to. so I much be doing somthing right.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:26 PM

I think I've been interested in quilting since I was about 4 years old, when I would be at my grandma's house, where she almost always had a quilt on the frame. (That didn't change after she and Grandpa moved to town, either...and the quilt she almost always had on was a Log Cabin!). I love watching my mom sew (she was self-taught), and she was going to teach me to sew one summer, but I ended up moving away after I graduated high school. My aunt lived in the city I moved to and she convinced me to sign up for the Singer Dressmaker's Course....best thing I ever did! First few things I made looked okay, but as I listened and learned and read more about sewing, I got better at it and made a lot of my own clothing, and then sewed for my family after I got married. I made lots of prom dresses for my daughters and for their friends when they were in high school...fun! In the back of my mind I was always thinking about quilts, but didn't really get a good start until about 9 years ago...My sister advised me to sign up for beginner's quilt classes after I had been to a quilt show where she works part-time. I did, and the rest is history. I'm not a volume quilter, but I think some of my favorite quilts have been the t-shirt quilts I've made for family and friends.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:25 PM

I love to read the stories you all have posted. My first quilt was a little odd. Exactly 40 years ago I was expecting our first child and read somewhere that it's good for babies to have tactile experiences. They suggested offering different kinds of fabric for a little one to touch, so I gathered up various swatches from my sewing scraps such as satin, corduroy, velour, flannel, etc. in a variety of colors and I sewed them together. I used a rubberized crib mat for "batting" and a backing that I don't remember now. I used a stitch and flip method, which resulted in a quilt of sorts, and I put a binding on it, somehow (though I may have used wide bias tape - I'm not sure). My little boy loved it, and then his brother and sister did, too. I intended to keep it but somehow in one of our moves it got lost.

I always did lots of sewing, crochet, knitting, cross stitch and crafts but dabbled in quilting only occasionally until recently. While living in Houston for many years, I'd inevitably go to the quilt festival now and then, and I'd come away all fired up to do some quilting, but the feeling was that in this hot climate, how many quilts would anyone need?

I might have drifted off to something else again, but this board and the local guild help to keep me focused. Most of the quilting I've done in recent years has been on guild community service projects, and it was a revelation to learn that there is an endless need for quilts in our communities, even in a hot climate.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:00 PM

I retired last year and joined a craft club. One of the folks is a quilter who started giving lessons. Together we made a lap size DP9. That quilt was raffled off for the club. I am hooked!
Old 09-13-2013, 07:28 PM

Just started few years ago! Like to learn diferrent crafts. Was learning something new every other year or so but started quilting and havent stopped!!