Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Glide is now my machine quilting thread of choice. >

Glide is now my machine quilting thread of choice.

Glide is now my machine quilting thread of choice.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:44 AM

I have been using glide for over a year now. I have an HQ Avante 18. It quilts beautifully on a long arm machine. Many of my friends who have gammill's and other HQ's use it and love it. My only suggestions is that if you use it in the bobbin, don't fill the bobbin completely. Only fill it about 2/3rds it normal capacity. It needs a little extra room in the bobbin case, due, I am sure, to its smooth, slick texture. There is not as much surface tension to keep it from unwinding a bit. Giving it a little extra room in the bobbin case helps to keep it from getting unwound outside the case, around the hook.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:47 AM

I use Glide thread exclussively as a longarmer. I love the sheen and the large variety of color choices. Minimal thread breakage and it is usually operator error. Fantastic company to work with.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:58 AM

My machine is a Singer Futura with a class 15 J bobbin. Could I use the pre wound bobbins?
Old 09-14-2013, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nlong49 View Post
My machine is a Singer Futura with a class 15 J bobbin. Could I use the pre wound bobbins?
Not sure. See these websites:
http://www.allstitch.net/content/wha...chine-1026.cfm
http://www.allstitch.net/media/pdf/A...Size_Chart.pdf

If I were you, I would call or email http://www.bobbincentral.com/ . They will probably know for sure.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
There is only one kind of Glide thread. I selected from this color chart along with the prewound bobbins to match.
http://www.bobbincentral.com/glide.html The thread sets are the best value.
Does this thread work for embroidery ?
Old 09-14-2013, 08:28 PM

Default Glide. Thread I love glide thread haven't had any tension problems since I started

Originally Posted by soccertxi View Post
I 'found' Glide at my new owners class in June. I LOVE the stuff! I just wish I could find a local supplier. I don't mind mail ordering from BobbinCentral or my dealer...I just hate to WAIT!
I used to always struggle to get the tension working right , and found half way through I'd have to adjust again, but since I started using glide, no problems , works perfectly. I love the Bobbins too, love them . I do find they work better if you remove the back spring in the bobbin case. Because there magnetic and that why they work better with th at spring out. I also find them to be very fast in there delivery time. Most it took for me to get my order was 2days and that was just with the cheapest was to ship them, and I think the people are. Great to deal with.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:36 PM

I have used Glide thread on all my machines works great price is good too. When I bought my thread it was around $7.50 for 5500 yds. Love the Military Gold#27407 use it instead of Metallic thread. Looks just as good with less trouble. Would be great for any Christmas projects.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:19 PM

I've had trouble with breaking threads on my Gammill and I think I tried Glide. So I've been looking at the Tex (strength) of the threads I've used. A supply of Perma Core came with my machine, works good, so have continued to get more of the same. Some are Tex 40 and some Tex 30, don't know why the different Tex on the same thread. It's a size 30, 100% Poly. Have a bunch of thread for my serger that's 24 Tex and broke badly on the Gammill. So Fine is Tex 25, 50 Wt, Polyester. Glide is Tex 27, Wt 40 Trilobal (hence the sheen) Polyester. Bottom Line is Tex 17, 60 wt, Polyester (haven't tried it in the Gammill). For Tex, the higher the number the stronger the thread. For wt, the higher the number the finer the thread.

So order of strength from strong to less is Perma Core, Glide, So Fine, Generic Serger, Bottom Line.

Order of weight from thin to thick is Bottom Line, So Fine, Glide (due to sheen has more visual presence), Perma Core.

So what Tex works in your/my LA. Then how much & what type of visual presence is desired on that particular project. For very dense quilting and light weight would be better. A heavy thread could approach thread embroidery/painting. I'm doing some top stitching that I want to really show up, so I'm using Perma Core on my domestic machine.

Anyone else out there have Gammill? What works on your machine?

Last edited by petthefabric; 09-14-2013 at 09:21 PM.