Thoughts on HE washer?

Old 09-15-2013, 04:31 AM

I love my whirlpool duets on pedestals. I have no complaints at all. Mine don't smell musty either as I use white vinegar as fabric softener and hydrogen peroxide as bleach. They clean the washer each time I use it. I also leave the door open too.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:39 AM

I don't have one and don't think that I want one guess I'm old school I like to fill and add my clothes as it fills been doing this way all my life and always will find something I forgot nice that I can lift the lid and throw it in I have a older row home and honestly don't think an HE washer will fit through the doors and if it dose fit I know it will not going down the basement and the washer/dryer I do have now had to go through the outside entrance of the basement and they just barely fit sure hope they don't stop making the older type top loaders my home was built in 1925
Old 09-15-2013, 05:02 AM

I have the Whirlpool Duet Sport about 5 years now. I love them! Our water bill went down after we got them. I prewash all my fabrics and use colorcatchers and it's not been a problem. The one time I needed to use retayne, I went to the laundramat. I love that I can put my king sized quilt in there and it comes out great! My only issue is I guess I must have been too lax about wiping the rubber thing on the inside os the washer because it's got some black mildew that I can't remove so there is a musty odor. I do wipe it now, but it hasn't gone away. Oh well. But I really like the he washers.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:15 AM
dd

Originally Posted by sewmom View Post
I have the Whirlpool Duet Sport about 5 years now. I love them! Our water bill went down after we got them. I prewash all my fabrics and use colorcatchers and it's not been a problem. The one time I needed to use retayne, I went to the laundramat. I love that I can put my king sized quilt in there and it comes out great! My only issue is I guess I must have been too lax about wiping the rubber thing on the inside os the washer because it's got some black mildew that I can't remove so there is a musty odor. I do wipe it now, but it hasn't gone away. Oh well. But I really like the he washers.
Did you try wiping it with bleach? That should kill the mildew, shouldn't it?
Old 09-15-2013, 05:29 AM

We have one at work, use it to wash towels. We have tried everything, those towels always smell bad. My MIL has one and it won't get dirty work clothes clean. Seems like a lot of expense for a machine that just doesn't work well.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:51 AM

I have an LG top-load HE washer (no agitator) and am happy with it. It has a bedding/bulky setting, for when I want a tub full of water. It has a "pause/unlock" button, if I want to add something. If I want just a bit more water but not a tub full, I wash on "casual" setting.

You just have to weigh the merits of each machine, rather than the HE factor alone. It's getting harder and harder, to find a quality machine that isn't HE. Before you buy any of them, look up reviews and feedback, from folks who already have that particular model.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

I really like mine!
Old 09-15-2013, 06:38 AM

I hate mine! I have a bosch and wish I had never spent the money on the set. I can't just spin a load of wet towel if I need to. I have to send it thru a full cycle!
Old 09-15-2013, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

I have a set of Samsung. (HE) top loading washer. I like that there is no center agitator. Washer has lots of settings, including bedding, heavy duty, etc. I use Eco soap from Costco, and white vinegar in the rinse. No issue with any smells, and I get clean clothes. It also has a Pause button, so I can add something if needed. The dryer is super! Has all kinds of settings. Including wool, and one with "sensor". Also has steam cycles to refresh or get wrinkles out. Has a Pause button too.
Hope you find something you like. I suggest you go to Sears, and check out the selection of different brands, options, etc.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by dd View Post
Did you try wiping it with bleach? That should kill the mildew, shouldn't it?
Yes i've tried bleach, straight Dawn dishsoap to soak it and just about anything I could think of. My clothes don't smell- just the washer.