Thoughts on HE washer?

Old 09-16-2013, 06:39 AM

I bought a Maytag top loader HE a couple of months ago on sale at HD. I didn't think I would like 'cause of the low water thing. The comparable one to the one to be replaced didn't have a delicate cycle so I chose the Maytag, same price. I LOVE THIS MACHINE. I have more options water tempwise and the clothes are really clean with less detergent and the machine decides the fill level. Not only is it using less water and detergent but, the clothes dry faster and it is so quiet. Unlike a front loader, I can interupt the cycle. The key is to READ THE OWNER'S MANUAL!!! I love my new machine. Again there are more options for everything you would want to wash.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:52 AM

HATE THEM!!!! Guess I am just an old fashion girl. But I am on my second.....the first pulled the threads out of my towels, even the EXPENSIVE ones. Now I have a Kenmore and I believe that there isn't enough water and agitation to get the dirt out. Have had to make a habit of checking clothes to make sure stains or marks are out before putting into the dryer. If I can't see the spot before drying, I hang it up in my laundry room till it dries and I can be sure the "dirt" is gone., HATE THEM!!!!
Old 09-16-2013, 08:08 AM

I have a top loader and I hate it, can't wait to replace it! Does not get my clothes clean.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by brandeesmom View Post
I do not like the HE washers at all!! Had to replace my 24 year old Kenmore with agitator. Bought the top of the line Samsung HE top loader, it has no agitator and I don't feel like my clothes are clean. I too noticed that the machine did not allow enough water to cover your clothes no matter which cycle is chosen. My HE has a glass lid so I can see what is going on. The lid also locks and if you pause the machine because you forgot toss in a sock, the machine will go into a drain when you shut the cover again so there goes all of your detergent....very annoying!! Another annoying thing with these machines is that they take so much longer to do a load. Now that is not saving energy, that is using more electricity.

I figured out that while loading my laundry into the machine and before I shut the lid and hit the start button I pour in 2 small buckets of water on top of the clothes and it tricks the washers brain into thinking there is a heavy load in the machine and it will actually give you more water. I also find I am using more detergent than with my old machine. Sorry, but I just don't like it...
You could be using too much detergent and that's why you feel your clothes aren't clean. That's what I found. When I measured detergent as they directed the clothes did seem cleaner. I love my Maytag HE top loader. I can(and do) select an extra rinse even if the cycle chosen doesn't have it. I feel the clothes are softer without the agitator there.
I love the "hand wash" cycle. I can do wool sweaters and socks without worrying about shrinking(using cold water of course). I even dry them on air only for a short while to start the drying process then hang the stuff on a rack to finish drying.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:13 AM

As someone who still has a set of both, older agigtater set and new HE set....... the old would win. I kept the old set out in our garage/ wood shop/ quilt rm building and bought a new HE set for in the house. Most of the time I leave it set on bulky so it will "fill up" for a full load. I liked the old set cause I can start the water going in while I gather up the cloths or material or whatever I am washing while the washer is filling. If you forget something you just open lid and drop in. I agree I don't need the lid locked to protect me. I probaby would NOT buy the HE again, mine is a top loading and I always leave the lid open to dry it out inside. I don't have an odor and have never ran the clean-it cycle in the 3 years I have had it.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:14 AM

Why don't you just add a quart or two of water to your loads? That way the machine would sense a larger load, plus you would have that much more water in there. And maybe you are filling the machine too full. Packing a machine too full is never good, no matter what kind you have.

I LOVE my front loader. It saves energy and water and that's what it's all about. Plus my clothes are cleaner, and there is less lint in the dryer...and lint IS your clothing falling apart due to rough handling in the washer.

Originally Posted by mawluv View Post
Maybe I'm too old and set in my ways, bought a GE, HE set about six months ago, and I have been brought to tears by this piece of modern technology. I absolutely and totally hate it!!!! When I do a dark load it comes out with lint streaks all over the clothes. I have to wash them again, sometimes helps, sometimes doesn't. I've washed a comforter and it came out with dry spots on it. The sensor measures the weight of the load, but what if it has a lot of fluff, then there is not enough water to clean it. I pay $$$$$ for this pair and I have to take my quilts ,blanket,and comforters to the laundry mat. I used to love to do the laundry,now I get a knot in my stomach just thinking about it.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:21 AM

I have the Whirlpool HE. It does not clean your clothes. I hate mine.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:38 AM

I hate mine. I will never, ever, ever have another front loader. Among the many things I dislike about this washer (and it is a top of the line model), three off the top of my head is that I cannot add anything once the load starts like you can with a top loader, it doesn't clean nearly as well as a top loader and (this is important to a quilter and one thing I did NOT think of before purchasing this washer) you cannot soak a quilt the way you can in a top loader.

Oh yes, and then there is the whole musty, mildewy problem with the rubber part around the opening to the washer that gets so yucky and nasty. I have to clean this after almost every wash with vinegar (sometimes bleach if I forgot and left it a week or two). Yuck!

My next machine will definitely be a top loader. I have lots of friends and family with front loaders and almost all of them feel the same way. Very few people I know would ever buy a front loader again.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:45 AM

I have a front loader, GE. Came with the house when we moved in. It does not clean as well as an old use-lots-of-water-and-agitate-the-heck-out-of-it machine. I always leave the door open between washes, but it smells like a stagnant pond.

If it didn't have a counter built over top of it, I would give it away and buy an old fashioned kind.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:01 PM

Let's talk about this, because I have exactly the opposite experience. You must be doing something differently. What detergent are you using? Do you stuff the machine full? What cycle do you use? Do you separate colors?????
I would like to hear specifics from those who say they "Hate" the machines.

Originally Posted by Gms Taylor View Post
I have the Whirlpool HE. It does not clean your clothes. I hate mine.