Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Guilds and Charity Quilts >

Quilting Guilds and Charity Quilts

Quilting Guilds and Charity Quilts

Old 09-17-2013, 04:17 AM

What some people (non quilters or sewers) don't realized that even charity quilts take time to piece, quilt, and bind, let alone the cost of the fabric. I do a lot of free longarming with QOV and IF I would charge for the intricate long arming I do there, it would be a 200-300 dollar long arm job. I am glad that we can distribute to the vets locally. I would be very upset if a guild member were to give away the quilts that I labored on to people who should not be recipients. That is my philosophy on that,.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:22 AM

This is totally wrong of your leader. There are rules on the QOV site and she has broken so many of them. The recipients have to be touched by war, meaning that they had to be overseas fighting. If they were sitting on the beach in Florida being a vet, they don't get a quilt. There are so many veterans who are needing it. When we make presentations to the WWII vets, and Vietnam, and Korea, they always say, "Why did I get this? I was only doing my job." That makes you feel so good inside just providing that quilt to them.
Originally Posted by Inez Ruth View Post
I used to make quilts for a local Quilts of Valor group until the leader awarded one to her husband who had never served a day in his life and even had the gall to send his name to the national organization as a recipient. She then decided that anyone who had ever served in any capacity had PTSD and should get a quilt. She just wanted to increase her numbers of awarded quilts. As the mother of a disabled Iraq war vet, this really made me angry.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:50 AM

Yes I would be upset. Our guild has two ladies on charge of collecting and storing the charity quilts. Our guild president and a couple of other members go to several nursing homes in the area and choose two to donate the quilts to. The president and several members take the lap quilts to the nursing homes and drape them inside the front rotunda receptionist area. Each resident is then allowed to choose their lap quilt. They do this around the forst week of December. After they choose our members label each quilt with the residents name. The quilts are then wrapped and placed under the Christmas tree. They are allowed to open them the day the center celebrates Christmas. Our ladies do a fantastic job and I appreciate all they do for our quilt guild.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

I would certainly be upset!
Old 09-17-2013, 07:50 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Our guild's "charity" quilts (we call them community quilts) are all made and donated by committee. On very rare occasions we acquire one that is larger than our usual donation and we, as a group, make the decision where it will go...maybe Habitat for Humanity, or the church where we meet for raffle purposes.

If I knew a quilt I had made specifically for these purposes was taken by someone 'who liked it', you can bet I'd go get it back from her, immediately. And the episode would be mentioned (without names) during a meeting as a warning to others of like nefarious mind.

As another option, I might have strongly suggested she pay for that quilt, perhaps for less than I might usually ask, and then donate the $$ to our batting fund, as an option to taking it back from her.

Jan in VA
Old 09-17-2013, 07:56 AM

I usually make one or two preemie quilts a month for the Threads of Love group I sew with. I had been sewing with this group for several years before my latest GS was born and he became one of NICU babies. He wasn't a preemie but had complications during delivery and spent several days in the unit. So now I understand better what the items we make can mean to the parents of a NICU baby.

As I work on a quilt, I pray for the baby who will the receive the quilt and that seems to take help take away the concern of who will get the quilt because that perfect baby has already been chosen. I recommend as you work on a quilt, try thinking about the individual who might get the quilt; when you put in the context that you are making this quilt for one special person it seems to make the effort all worth it, and the person who receives the quilt will know that there is someone who cares enough to make an effort to show they care.

Last edited by Chris48; 09-17-2013 at 07:59 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
Our guild found out that personnel at the non profits were taking first pick!
Originally Posted by Inez Ruth View Post
I used to make quilts for a local Quilts of Valor group until the leader awarded one to her husband who had never served a day in his life and even had the gall to send his name to the national organization as a recipient.
These incidents would have absolutely infuriated me, and I would have raised holy H-E-double-hockey-sticks. These people are supposed to be HELPING those less fortunate, not STEALING from them. Shame on them, and may the bird of paradise fly up their nose. And lay a few eggs. Ha.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:31 AM
Power Poster

I belong to 3 guilds (like in Goldilocks, there's a large one, a small one, and one that's "just right"), and all make charity quilts, which we call comfort quilts. I'm not sure how all the quilts are distributed, though I do know some of the organizations receiving them. Your question about "would you be bothered" is provocative, but without more information I can't really say. For instance, if a quilt were given to a family member of the person in charge, then yes, I would be bothered, even if that person was in need, because it's too much of a conflict of interest not to have consulted with other members of the guild. But if a quilt went to the director of one of the charities because that person, although not financially needy, was always there for others and was going through a tough time with illness or emotional stress - then I wouldn't be so upset. I do think you should bring this subject before the guild's board and ask about the circumstances if you don't already know them.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:55 AM

Wow, that's so WRONG!

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
That happened to me just once,made a quilt to be donated, and one of the ladies liked it so well she kept it.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:13 PM
Power Poster

about 6 yrs ago, I made and donated 50 quilts to a local hospital, kinda with specific directions on who to give it to, cancer kids and cemo kids. Well, my friends neighbor got one. he lived in a very well to do area and didn't get stitches. cleaned his knee and got one!!!!. I don't donate to that hosp anymore