Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Manufacturers need to wise up on what quilters want. >

Manufacturers need to wise up on what quilters want.

Manufacturers need to wise up on what quilters want.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:03 AM

Thanks everyone for the great ideas on machines. That is my "one of these day wishes" for a bigger throat machine. Right now with a DS in high school, it's all braces, drivers license, first car, then college. So you can see why thousands in a machine just isn't practical. I guess what sparked the desire was HSN in their sewing week. They were touting thes machines that were not at all what I would want to quilt on and saying how good they would be for quilting. Raspberryparade09, I have always wondered about that too! It seems like it would be so much easier just to buy two spools but, I guess they think it is more economical just to use one spool of thread. As if that is ever enough. LOL.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:58 AM
QKO

Originally Posted by TexasGurl View Post
Have you seen the Janome 1600 ?? (also the Viking Megaquilter and Pfaff Grandquilter, they are "triplets" - same machines w/ different covers, all made by Janome)
Straight stitch, mechanical, high speed machines with a larger throat. Much like the Juki or Brother 1500 models. Very reasonably priced. Speed control, auto-thread cutter and knee lift. Mine came with an extension table, but I bought it about 5 yrs ago. Doesn't require a frame. Simple, heavy-duty machines without the commercial price. I've sewn everything on mine from quilts to home decor, denim, heavy outdoor canvas etc. Never a problem ...
Another vote for this machine - comes with feed dog covers - wonderful for FMQ - 9 inch throat. Under 1000 dollars pretty much anywhere you can find one.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:39 AM

I know this is pretty much off topic, but I was in total shock a couple weeks ago when Baby Lock unveiled its new "Ovation" serger - a serger that apparently costs around $6,000 !!! I mean, come on already. A serger to me is a utility machine. I don't need a bigger throat and a multitude of stitches on my serger. I have a $200 serger that does everything I need it to do. Granted, mine doesn't have a cover stitch, but unless you're a designer, how much are you really using that type of stitch? I almost posted on their Facebook page that the only people who are going to rush out to buy this one are designers/people in business who can write it off on their taxes!
Old 09-17-2013, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by raspberryparade09 View Post
My wish in a sewing machine is for the bobbin to be able to be an entire spool of thread! I just don't see why they can't make a machine to either hold a spool for the bobbin or have a way of threading an external thread held on a spindle!!
It's because of the way the sewing machine makes stitches. The top thread goes completely around the bobbin in order to make a lock stitch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFo_FnozIM8

They have made machines with larger bobbins (size M), but the size is limited because the bigger the bobbin, the slower the machine has to sew. And after seeing that video, it's obvious that an external bobbin isn't possible.

Using a finer thread helps, you can load more thread on the bobbin.

My husband is the creative type and for fun, has been farting around in the garage with different quilting machine designs. He's Frankensteined several different sewing machines picked up from thrift stores. I told him if he could design a machine that had a huge bobbin and was in the $4000-$5000 range, we'd be millionaires.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaC View Post
I know this is pretty much off topic, but I was in total shock a couple weeks ago when Baby Lock unveiled its new "Ovation" serger - a serger that apparently costs around $6,000 !!! I mean, come on already. A serger to me is a utility machine. I don't need a bigger throat and a multitude of stitches on my serger. I have a $200 serger that does everything I need it to do. Granted, mine doesn't have a cover stitch, but unless you're a designer, how much are you really using that type of stitch? I almost posted on their Facebook page that the only people who are going to rush out to buy this one are designers/people in business who can write it off on their taxes!
So because your $200 dollar machine does every thing you need the manufacturers shouldn't make machines for designers and people in business?
Old 09-17-2013, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by raspberryparade09 View Post
My wish in a sewing machine is for the bobbin to be able to be an entire spool of thread! I just don't see why they can't make a machine to either hold a spool for the bobbin or have a way of threading an external thread held on a spindle!!
I have said the same thing for several years now. Who ever comes up with a machine like that will be an instant winner and end up a very rich man or woman. I tried to get my grandson to look into it when in college and working an engineering degree, to do it for his end of term project. He instead went for something to do with circular saws. DARN!
Old 09-17-2013, 09:51 AM

No, Scissor Queen, that was not my point. I was simply stating that most sewers would be spending their dollars on a regular sewing machine, not a serger. If the business people can afford it, more power to 'em.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:58 AM

There is a web site that shows how to stretch your sewing machine. There was a thread on Yahoo that talked about people sending their machines to have this done.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:01 AM

The Viking 835 has a large throat, and I've been really happy with it. You may want to check it out. It's also not super expensive. I found it a reasonable replacement for my aged Bernina.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:15 AM

I've asking the very same question for you. I think men must make the final improvement decisions. My hubby needs all the bells and whistles.
Originally Posted by toverly View Post
When will they make a simple machine with a bigger throat? It shouldn't have to be an expensive machine just bigger. All I want is a large throat for FM quilting and a straight stitch. Doesn't have to be super fast, electronic, or super heavy duty. Old Singers seem to have huge throats, so I know they started out that way. Why pay big bucks for a commercial machine? Anyone else feel this way?