Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paris Texas 1931 Friendship Quilt Top >

Paris Texas 1931 Friendship Quilt Top

Paris Texas 1931 Friendship Quilt Top

Old 01-23-2012, 07:32 AM

We seem to only live a few miles from each other. Contact me for my address, and you can come by to see the squares. This is the 23rd.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:28 AM

This has certainly been a History lesson for us all. Isn't it surprising how names due to the difference in spelling over the years, have changed. An important lesson for us to carefully label all photos and records so info is correct for the future generations.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:07 AM

Well, if you do the math that quilt was made 71 years ago. Making the assumption that the signers were at least 20 years old when it was created there probably won't be many of them still around. You are more likely to get some contacts from family members and that would be great also but outstanding to get one of the actual signers. Good luck! It is a treasure.
Interestingly enough my husband has Key family members in Texas. He is going to check through his genealogy and see if your square might be related.

Last edited by ncredbird; 01-23-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:42 AM

I knew an Evelyn Bobo when I was in University in Texas. That was a long time ago.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

yep, there is a Paris, Texas Dorothy. that is a great quilt top. hope you get more info on it.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:50 PM

Default Paris, Texas Friendship Quilt... the saga continues, I hope..

So many of you were interested in this old quilt, but when QB had it changes the story got waylaid.. Hopefully this will bring it back to our attention and we can learn more about the families named on the quilt.

I don't know my way around here very well now, so if I don't respond it's not that I'm not trying!

and I haven't figured out yet how to post pictures, but maybe I'll get there soon...
Old 06-20-2012, 07:00 PM

I had a simular quilt and it has gotten lost in the moves...... Mine had a simular block and was a signature quilt... mine belonged to a great aunt. She had TB when younger and back then they sent you to an Asylum for treatment and care. All her friends made the quilt and embroidered their signature.names on the blocks to comfort her while she was getting well. ..... I so miss my quilt...... pout... she was such a wonderful woman!!

good luck.. I love the little town of Paris TX!! I'm a Texas girl thru and thru.... even if I currently lay my head in Minnesota!
Old 09-13-2013, 09:55 AM

I'm not a quilter, but I stumbled upon this site doing some genealogy research. Hettie William Wood was a member of the Methodist Church in Paris. She was a teacher, one of the ones who settled the Boulder Chautauqua Cottages. She was a gifted artist - studied abroad in Europe at the turn of the century (early 1900s). She was my great-aunt. Her sister, Jattie Wycliffe Wood, was my grandmother, and JW Wood was my great-grandfather, Susanah Emyline (Emma) my great-grandmother. (My dad was 55 when I was born - so I was a generation late to the party!) Hope this helps with your history -
Here are some more facts about her:
[TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="align: left"]Name: Hettie William WOOD
Given Name: Hettie William
Surname: Wood
Sex: F
Birth: 16 Dec 1877 in Millersville, Cape Girardeau Co MO
Death: 29 Jan 1964 in Paris, Lamar Co TX
Burial: Evergreen Cemetery, Paris, Lamar Co TX
THE PARIS NEWS, 29 Jan 1964. 'Miss Hettie Wood, 903 3rd SW, longtime Paris teacher and artist, died Monday at 9:45 p.m. in Pleasant Grove nursing home here.
She was a daughter of the late J.W. Wood and the former Emma Miller, and was born 16 Dec 1877, in Millersville, Mo. The family moved to Paris when she was two years old, and she attended schools here, later receiving her degree from East Texas State College, and studying art in New York City and in Europe. She had been a member of First Methodist Church 70 years and was a longtime Sunday school teacher. She was a member of the elementary division of the Texas State Teachers Association. Retiring in 1954 after many years as a teacher in Paris public schools, she conducted a kindergarten until her health failed. The funeral, Wednesday at 4 p.m. will be held in Fry and Gibbs chapel by the Rev. Glendell Jones and the Rev. James E. Jones of First Methodist Church, interment being arranged in Evergreen Cemetery.
Surviving are two sisters, Mrs. Clark Estes, Sr., and Mrs. J.W. Love, Paris, and a brother, W.W. Wood, Greenville, besides seven nieces and eight nephews.
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Last edited by JC Patrick421; 09-13-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:02 PM

I have really enjoyed this post. Please let us know the ..rest of the story. I would love to know what happens to this quilt.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:24 AM

[QUOTE=AZTeri;3674894]Here you go. Took me a bit to find them on my computer but I succeeded [/Q
Living 18 miles from the fountain on the square I can assure you the pictures are of Paris ,Tx. Although the pic of the fountain does not do it justice because this fountain is massive. It is large enough a grown man can stand in the top basin and not be seen from the ground. I know this because I also am acquainted with the man who spent numerous sultry summer nights in the fountain to try to beat the heat. We have one of the most beautiful downtown area found anywhere. We also boast of Our Eiffel Tower beside the Love Community center. It has a humongous stetson on top.