Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Manufacturers need to wise up on what quilters want. >

Manufacturers need to wise up on what quilters want.

Manufacturers need to wise up on what quilters want.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
Neesie, all this assumes that the profit margin is less on a simpler machine, which would not necessarily be the case if it has fewer parts, less labor and much less likelihood of coming in for warranty repair. Already the major companies do offer simpler and much less expensive machines. They're just not making them with the specific features that quilters would go for, and besides, I think a lot of us would still want the fancy machine in addition to one that's more useful for quilting.

The major expense, to the manufacturer, would be the redesign and production of the base machine. The actual bells and whistles probably cost the manufacturer a lot less, they you think. Those "specific features" of the design are what the manufacturers count on, to sell their higher priced/more profitable machines.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:17 PM

Besides a simple machine with a longer throat...I'd also like to have more height like the old Singers have. I own a Viking Sapphire 875, love it. However changing the needle is difficult as there's not much room to get my hands in that space. I prefer the vertical bobbin system rather than a drop in type bobbin, I feel it gives a better stitch for FMQ. Just a straight stitch machine that has feed dogs that can be dropped, for either walking foot grid quilting or FMQ.
Sharon
Old 09-17-2013, 12:19 PM
Power Poster

Yes! There are some out there like the Juki straight stitch. The best option is to buy a vintage Singer 15 or 201.

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
When will they make a simple machine with a bigger throat? It shouldn't have to be an expensive machine just bigger. All I want is a large throat for FM quilting and a straight stitch. Doesn't have to be super fast, electronic, or super heavy duty. Old Singers seem to have huge throats, so I know they started out that way. Why pay big bucks for a commercial machine? Anyone else feel this way?
Old 09-17-2013, 12:25 PM

Belfrybat,
The 201 is a great machine, but it doesn't like to do FMQ at all! I love my 1936 Singer 201 for piecing quilts and straight line walking foot quilting, has 8" of throat space. My machine can be either a hand crank or a treadle, much prefer to treadle it. The grand kids were piecing crumb blocks and they like to hand crank best of all, the hearts is a magnet that they use for their 1/4" seam guide.
Sharon
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Roses and cream TOBE 2011 019.JPG
Views:	453
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	436550  
Old 09-17-2013, 07:52 PM

You can slow the Juki 98 down with a gadget made from Radio Shack parts for under $15 (see the instructions on the Yahoo Juki Group site) or the newer Juki 2010 has a sliding switch to slow it down built in. I made the Radio Shack gizmo in a few minutes and used it on my Juki 98 for a few months, but soon learned my "touch" on the foot pedal and don't need it very often. I do use it when the grandkids sew (6 - 12 year olds)!
Old 09-17-2013, 08:48 PM

I do not want all the fancy stuff either. Just a few stitiches and a way to lower the feed. My kenmore does not have that feed feature, so cannot try the FM thingee. smile. Also I cannot afford all the big brand machines. I bet there are a lot more like me who would buy a reasonable priced simpler machine.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
Or maybe it's because not all quilters want the same thing. I want a larger throat space but I also want programmable stitches, multiple needle positions, needle up/down, etc, etc.

Juki makes a straight stitch only, high speed machine for a reasonable price. Having a heavy duty machine is not a bad thing when you're doing hours of fairly high speed sewing. I had one and sold it to help pay for the Janome 6600.

Sewing machines are even more of a personal choice than a car. You just have to keep looking until you find the one that suits your needs.
Juki make machines with all the whistles and extras which have exactly the same size throat as the straight stitch only. My friend UK sells them and they are good machines.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:06 PM

ABSOLUTELY FEEL THE SAME. My old 1967 Singer has a larger throat than my small cheap Janome, BUT I can't drop the feeddogs. Drats. I will not pay hundred's or thousands of dollars for a machine that has way more features than I will ever use. However, IF I were in business, then it would be a different matter.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:26 AM

I love my TL98 Juki......it is fast, but real heavy duty, a work horse. Straight stitch only. Got it several years ago
for $800 online, brand new. Great for FMQ. I also have the Horizon 7700 and prefer the Juki over it. By the way I have a speed control on my Juke that I bought extra.

Last edited by EvieD44; 09-18-2013 at 03:29 AM.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by raspberryparade09 View Post
My wish in a sewing machine is for the bobbin to be able to be an entire spool of thread! I just don't see why they can't make a machine to either hold a spool for the bobbin or have a way of threading an external thread held on a spindle!!
I remember seeing one of these when I was making flags for a small local company. It was very old and not in use. I don't think anyone knew how to use it.