Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Favorite Applique Product? >

Favorite Applique Product?

Favorite Applique Product?

Old 09-18-2013, 11:45 AM

I use Wonder Under exclusively. Heat & Bond is not meant for needling, but was designed for crafting. It's too stiff and almost impossible to hand needle. Steam a seam is also too gummy. There could be other products that work ok, but when I can get Wonder Under for $2.95/yd, minus my employee discount, I see no reason to spend more! I have a couple of little secrets for using Wonder Under. First of all, let it cool COMPLETELY before trying to peel off the paper. I have been known to pop my appliques into the refrigerator for a few minutes to speed up the process. Secondly, use a pin to score the paper and peel from the center of the shape, rather than from the edges. This eliminates fraying of fabric. I've been appliqueing for 30 years now, and I'm "sticking" to it!
Old 09-18-2013, 01:33 PM

I'd like to toss another product into the mix.... What does everyone think of Mistyfuse?
Old 09-19-2013, 04:40 AM

I use the wash away stabilizer similar to what Sharon Shaumber sells. I have tried every variety of appliqué technique I think and for hand work this gets the best results for me. It irons onto the back of the piece and provides a heavy enough edge that doing the needle turn under it is very crisp and sharp. There is no doubt where the edge is. Then when washed it dissolves and gives a bit of a raised look to the appliqué even before the quilting is done.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:32 AM

Heat 'n Bond LITE is perfect for raw-edge machine applique. When you 'window pane' the larger pieces, the finished product is soft and not stiff at all.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:38 AM

I really like Misty Fuse, it is light weight and does not gum up the needle.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:30 PM

I bought Wonder Under or Pellon (which really irritated me, trying to get it loose for the other side) because it was all I knew, tried Heat and Bond and found it is so much easier to use. Easier to peel, easier to press, etc. I bought it at Joann's and now they don't carry it anymore, but I found it cheap on eBay.

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
I was a dedicated Wonder Under user until I took a class and the instructor had little kits with Heat 'n Bond lite. I don't think it's any softer but the edges of the applique are bonded better and you get a whole lot less edge fraying.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:30 PM

Joanns fabric does have 805 wonder under and heavy duty wonder under they do not carry heat and bond in the stores anymore that is only available online the Steam a Seam i believe changed name to something else by dritz
Old 09-19-2013, 09:16 PM

I just saw some applique tutorials by Christy F. (Sharon Schamber's daughter). She was using an applique material invented by Sharon. They sell it for $18.95 for 5 yards. It stays in the applique and adds to a trapunto look in the end.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:12 AM

I'm a Mistyfuse addict, too. So lightweight, and SO easy to iron your pattern onto without reversing the pattern!
Old 09-20-2013, 12:20 PM

Ifstamper, I sometimes use the used dryer sheets to back my applique pieces, it gives them a 3-d look.