Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one? >

Am I the only one?

Am I the only one?

Old 09-18-2013, 05:39 PM

I too am an educator, and I am right there with you!!!!!! Maybe it has to do with being around so many kids and people all day long......
Old 09-18-2013, 05:55 PM

We ought to form our own guild--we will never have meetings or social events--we'll just take a moment to think of each other every third Thursday or something!
Old 09-18-2013, 08:19 PM
Power Poster

To get the creativity flowing, I need to be alone with my stash and my own thoughts. I have to concentrate and think, so with the distraction of others around I wouldn't get much done. I love being home alone to work on my quilts.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:51 AM

I'm just like you. When I started to quilt I tried classes and groups but they didn't work for me. Classes because I'm sometimes quite slow to learn and they became an ordeal as I got left behind and began to panic, and groups because as a single woman, in the ones I tried I found myself viewed with a mix of incomprehension, patronising and suspicion by the women there, whose only topics of conversation besides quilts were husbands, children and grandchildren. I tried really hard to be interested in them and their lives, but it wasn't reciprocated. But the main reason is that I'm an introvert: time alone is a great blessing. I enjoy doing online classes because I can chat when I want to but have the focus that comes from working alone. I do share my work with a Facebook group that evolved from a Yahoo group. Some of the women there feel like good friends, even though we're on different continents. I met one of them last year, and it was as though we'd known each other for ages. QB is my other source of companionship and chat, and I realy value it.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
We ought to form our own guild--we will never have meetings or social events--we'll just take a moment to think of each other every third Thursday or something!
Love it - the Introverts Quilt Guild!
Old 09-19-2013, 06:23 AM

Also a teacher with both Face to Face time with students and then online classes, plus all the grading. A chance to sew in a peaceful, soft music in the background, able to be in the moment, no meetings, have to do, what more could I want. Well Sleep sounds good also.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:54 AM

I am also a semi-introvert, work with people all day long, but they are not tiring people, but really enjoy my creative time, but don't like to push myself getting something done, its my leasure time. Tried a quilting group for a little while, even if they only meet once a month, it was sometimes hard to make it that one night, something always interrupting so quit going, they are into charity quilts and I don't like the rush to get something done. One of these days when I retire and get all my todo's done I'll join again.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:48 AM

I'm here with you Girl !! I am a middle of the road person when it comes to being around people, I like them but I also like being alone too. I love to quilt by myself but I can also quilt with others if they are serious about it. I absolutely love quilting and it's such a stress buster for me. If I had to be around others all the time or hang out with the guild members, I'd go nuts !!! I have taken classes and enjoy them, but have found out that Guilds are not for me.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:54 AM

My hands in the air too! I work and talk with people all day....love it when I can be at home working on a quilt. Don't even put the radio on! Also love QB and all the expert advice and smiles I gain from reading it daily.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:10 PM

I'm raising my hand too! Love to quilt alone; no desire to join the "guild." Love that I can help with quilting for church at my own pace and donate my finished projects. Still feel too new at this and too slow to go quilt with the gals who've done this "forever." Much satisfaction from quilting & from belonging to this on-line group. What more do I need? Nothing that I can think of!