Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fusible quilt batting >

Fusible quilt batting

Fusible quilt batting

Old 09-22-2013, 09:36 AM

Red face Fusible quilt batting

I wonder if some of you members have used this product and if you could give me some feedback. I was thinking of trying it and don't know if I should and if I do use it what are some tips for doing so. Appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks MrsSewalot
Old 09-22-2013, 10:09 AM

I've seen it used for a queen sized quilt, and it worked well. But I tried to order it from JoAnn fabrics, and they sent me small pillow forms instead. Then they said the fusible quilt batting was no longer stocked. So, I used the spray adhesive. That worked well too, but smelled really bad and the overspray was everywhere. I probably used too much.
Sue
Old 09-22-2013, 10:42 AM

My quilting teacher said she had a student make a terrible mess trying to iron the entire batt to fuse. She suggested just putting the iron on the quilt sandwich every few inches like the spacing you would do if using pins.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:46 AM

Buy the glue. 505 spray if not used carefully does leave a mess. Go to the tutorial or do a search for elmers school glue method. No spraying and you are more in charge of where it goes.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:17 AM
Power Poster

Most people who have tried fusible batting say it's probably okay for small projects, such as wallhangings, but can create a major mess for large-sized quilts. I think that's because there is no way to re-position it after ironing and correct mistakes. I would recommend 505 spray or Elmer's glue instead.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:02 PM

thank you very much for your input. I was told I could use this when making wallets. I think I will try on one wallet and see how it works.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:04 PM
Banned

I have used it for a lap quilt and some small projects. I actually liked it vey well. And yes you can reposition it if needed, it pulls apart easily and can be re-ironed. I used the Hobbs Brand fusible. Only negative for me was it is a bit thinner than warm and Natural, which is my favorite.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:21 PM
Power Poster

I have used it on several quilts. I use Hobbs 80/20 fusible and it does take some work to iron a large quilt. I do mine on my basement floor on old carpet. I put on my knee pads and it takes about an hour. I lay the back out first, spread the batting on top of the back and then lay the top on. I start ironing from the center out so any extra fabric goes to the edge. Once the top is all fused ( the back is somewhat fused from the iron too) I flip over the sandwich and iron the back starting from the middle too. I put safety pins around the quilt sandwich edge to keep the edges from peeling up as I move the sandwich through my machine.

I have used 505 spray and I like that too. The Elmer's washable glue works too but I have only done a lap quilt with it.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:56 PM

I never found the fusible batting to be that wonderful.. it was better than pinning. Once I found spray basting I never looked back.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:44 PM

It is great for purses and totes and such. I wouldn't try it on a bigger project.