Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anybody use "Angie's List"? >

Anybody use "Angie's List"?

Anybody use "Angie's List"?

Old 09-22-2013, 07:22 AM

I have a friend with a membership. There is a fee and there are different subscription lists. I tried to look up doctors on the medical one and very few in my area had any listings at all, so it was pretty useless.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:25 AM

Thanks to all of you that have weighed in.....I think I may join for one year. We need some help with yard work(sprinklers) and our local gardeners don't speak much English so hard to communicate our needs. We could also use a good plumber and electrician.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by tkee View Post
I have a friend with a membership. There is a fee and there are different subscription lists. I tried to look up doctors on the medical one and very few in my area had any listings at all, so it was pretty useless.

The doctor, the handyman, etc. cannot list themselves on Angie's list. They ONLY get on the list if people who have had good experiences with them, put them on. That is the whole point.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:36 AM

Since I don't have anyone to help with house maintenance I asked my realtor that sold me the house to recommend someone. He gave me a good electrician. I found a good local plumber on my own. I am still looking for a general maintenance person to help me with things I just can't do by myself. If anyone in the Belleville MI area knows of anyone, PLEASE let me or them know and contact me. I am still trying to finish unpacking in the garage and need help putting boxes up on storage shelving. I could use someone to help redo the ceilings upstairs too. They need removing (old 12 ceiling tiles), new insulation put in and redrywalled.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:01 AM

You must join and pay.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:57 AM

Yes, I tried to use it, but you do have to pay for it. You might be better off checking you local chamber of commerce and the Better Business Bureau.
Plus, I really take online reviews with a grain of salt, as you are only reading what someone who has the time and skills to post online wants to say. And my thought would be that there are a lot of us who would NOT pay to join Angie's list to comment on someone. But I WOULD tell friends, so ask around.

Last edited by quiltmom04; 09-22-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by wendiq View Post
Thanks to all of you that have weighed in.....I think I may join for one year. We need some help with yard work(sprinklers) and our local gardeners don't speak much English so hard to communicate our needs. We could also use a good plumber and electrician.
If I had it to do again, I would pay the $12 it costs here to join Angie's list for a year, although the Chamber of Commerce is a good idea, and maybe Better Business Bureau.

We created a new bathroom. We hired a great electrician from the phone book, and asked a friend in the construction trades to recommend a plumber. That plumber was AWFUL! Never there when he said he would be, often did no work when he came, took 4-5 months to finish a job he said would be done in under a month, didn't bother to know the measurements of the shower plumbing that HE sold us and we had to take out a wall that was just finished and redo it, and worst, he made a pass at me, the scum, knowing I was married and knowing my husband! He was quite persistent (and married with kids), didn't think he should take no for an answer, and if I did not have dogs there, I don't know what would have happened. He didn't like the dogs and they did not like him. They were constantly on guard with him here, aware of his every move. He made it clear that he was successful bedding most of the women for whom he worked. (Wonder if his wife knew?) I didn't trust him after that, not one bit. I made my husband come home from work if the guy was coming over, and I left. Even so, the plumber stood my husband up when he knew my husband had to take vacation time to be here. He also tried to get his final payment without finishing the job; he said he "didn't feel like installing the exhaust pipe". He never did arrange for the final inspection; I hope that is not a problem if we ever sell the house.

If Angie's list carries only good recommendations, I'll bet this guy isn't mentioned.

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 09-22-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:11 AM

A friend at Orkney checked bbb nd Angie's list and still ended up with a doozie. Both were listed as good nd she is out 80,000.00 so far and the guy is gone. What keeps a friend or relative from spreading good things for them?
Old 09-22-2013, 12:18 PM

I am very pleased with Angies List. I have used her list several times and have been very satisfied with the people she has recommended.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:16 PM

We always use Angie's list. We used the list when we lived in Florida and we use it here in Houston. We put a 32' by 12' covered patio on the back of our house using a company from Angie's list. They were here on time every day and did an absolutely beautiful job. There was also no payment made until the job was done and we were completely satisfied.