Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does the inside of the quilt shop matter to you? >

Does the inside of the quilt shop matter to you?

Does the inside of the quilt shop matter to you?

Old 09-23-2013, 09:46 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I can handle 'stuffed' - but not 'chaotic' when in a store.
I agree. I don't like messy because it's also related to dirty. I wash fabric before using but
not because I feel I have to because it is soiled. I've seen fabrics on the floor and scattered
all around. Not my kind of shop at all. I don't have to have fancy or expensive but
organized is good.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:10 AM

I know of a quilt shop is central IL (will not give name) that is truly a fire hazard and I'm surprised the local fire department hasn't shut her down. You could lose a child in there!!

Jane
Old 09-23-2013, 10:29 AM

I like neat and organized. It shows that the owner takes pride in their shop. My local store is organized and the people are very friendly. It also has great lighting which the owner told me she paid a small fortune for. Her store also has no off-putting odors nor does she use air freshners.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:37 AM

I was on a two week trip to NM and back to WV and only got into one quilt shop, but thankfully it was a little jewel of a shop, the Thread Bear in Las Vegas, NM. It was a very neat and well-organized store and I found several fabrics, imagine that?, that I couldn't do without. The owners were most pleasant and accommodating and I thoroughly enjoyed my little visit. I am chaotic enough myself, I do not do well in chaotic situations.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:52 AM

I would have walked out right away. I cannot stand cluttered or stuffed. A lot of people usually means good prices but I don't like to be in a crowd either. I am probably missing out because of this attitude but I will never know...
Old 09-23-2013, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins View Post
I tend to like my shops organized as it makes it much easier for me to 'look and find' things......and my own sewing space is pretty much like that.....admittedly....the cutting table gets a bit cluttered when I am in the middle of 'creating', but it does get to me....then I will stop and take some time to put things back together.
Me too. I try not to let the chaos rule.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:32 PM

I meant "horizontally" stacked.

Originally Posted by HouseDragon View Post
I prefer organized by colour and fabric lines with the bolts side-by-side on the shelves. It's so much easier to find what you are looking for.

Vertically stacked bolts are difficult to remove (the fabric I want is always at the bottom) and trying to find a clerk to help me on a busy day or during a sale or when I've popped in "for just a quick look" will soon have me out the door.

With that said, I'll shop anywhere as long as it doesn't smell bad.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:38 PM

I want a clean and well merchandised store. I will drive past 50 other stores to get to an open airy organized store. I will not go across the street for a mess/
Old 09-23-2013, 02:49 PM

I agree with the others: I don't mind packed, but chaos is a little much. I'm like that with everything though: my workspace, quilting space, etc. are all pretty tidy (I think so, at least). One of work colleagues, however, as the most chaotic office I've ever seen. There's a method to his madness though, and he can't seem to work any other way. I wonder if the owner of this shop is like that; the difference, though, is that my colleague's office really doesn't have to be inviting to anyone but him.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:47 PM

First let me say I am not an organized person at all. My sewing room is somewhat organized, but a mess. I went to a quilt shop in Tennessee last weekend. I found it impossible to shop there. I did see a few fabrics that I liked, but I don't know how you would ever be able to put together a whole quilt. The fabric was total chaos. It was just randomly stuck on the shelves. No organization at all. Baby stuff all over, batiks all over etc. Not seperated by colors or anything. Made me nuts. I couldn't shop. There was a kit I wanted. The lady said she would see if she could find it. It was $55. She brought out a little bag of fabric and said here is your kit. Luckily I thought it looked a little bit slim. THe background fabric (3 yards) and the instruction book were missing. She was trying to tell me it was supposed to be just some little pieces of fabric. The display listed what was included. I still think some of the fabrics are missing. Didn't check the small pieces. Most of them appear to be there, I am sure I can fill them in from my stash.
THe lady working seemed to not know anything at all. It was overwhelming to try to shop. I won't go back. My 2 SIL and DS and I decided if it rained on Saturday morning we were going to break into the shop and reorganize it before they opened for the day