Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rag quilt question? >

Rag quilt question?

Rag quilt question?

Old 09-25-2013, 10:00 AM

I made a rag quilt using one layer of cotton and 2 layers of flannel. I didn't sew the "x" in the center as all three layers are the same size and the seam keeps them in place. I made mine a couple of years ago and it gets washed every couple of weeks (the dogs really like it!) and it is holding up very well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	881
Size:	324.9 KB
ID:	438075  
Old 09-25-2013, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

if your blocks are quite large you might want the X just so when it's washed/dried they do not 'puff' become pillowy...but if the blocks are fairly small (less than 10" I would guess) it will be fine without the X. I only say this because the kids one time made one with 12" squares- it was very cute- but the 3 layers did not really shrink equally (cotton, muslin, flannel, flannel== I don't know why they chose to include the muslin) they did not think they needed to stitch the sandwiches- since no batting to pull apart- but it came out rather puffy & wonky in places- still good for what it was for- (a play blanket) but I think the larger the squares the more 'stability' the layers need.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:10 PM

I would say that if all three layers are the same size, then you are probably safe. The x is generally to keep the batting (cut smaller) in place so it doesn't clump up. If your middle piece of flannel is not the same size as the top and bottom, you may want to go back and sew an x through the blocks. Raggyquilts are fun to make but can be costly so I don't think I'd skip the x step, myself.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:46 PM

I think you will regret not doing an x in the middle of the sandwich. Flannel is just like any other fabric and needs to be sewn to stay together. Just my opinion, if you find it works let us/me know. Oh and I just want to add that I bind my rag quilts that I've made. I cut the binding 3 inches wide so the binding is a little bit wider than other quilts. I like the look because I don't like the itchy thought of the raggy end on my chin.

Last edited by DonnaPBradshaw; 09-25-2013 at 12:51 PM. Reason: add more information
Old 09-25-2013, 05:13 PM

I have made 2 denim rag quilts for my guys. I used 6 inch squares without the x sewn in them. However, I used no batting and regular quilt cotton on the back. These quilts are heavy & warm. No problems with laundering---except they take a long time to get dry.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:51 AM

Thanks everyone
Old 09-26-2013, 04:04 AM

This is my first post, although I have learned a ton from reading your posts every day. Thanks for all the information you generously share.

There's something I've always wondered about rag quilts for babies. They seem so soft and cuddly, but do babies pull and 'worry' at the frayed bits? I know mine seemed to be able to loosen (and swallow) the darndest things, and I was always checking the stuffed animals.

It would be fiber, I guess. . . .

Hugs,
Charlotte
Old 09-26-2013, 04:15 AM

If you did not stitch the "X" in the block, and you didn't catch the flannel up in the stitching around the perimeter of the block, wouldn't the flannel just be loose and "floating" inside the block?
Old 09-26-2013, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by charlottequilts View Post
This is my first post, although I have learned a ton from reading your posts every day. Thanks for all the information you generously share.

There's something I've always wondered about rag quilts for babies. They seem so soft and cuddly, but do babies pull and 'worry' at the frayed bits? I know mine seemed to be able to loosen (and swallow) the darndest things, and I was always checking the stuffed animals.

It would be fiber, I guess. . . .

Hugs,
Charlotte
I have read/heard you should never use a rag quilt on a baby because of the loose threads and lint generated by the "fringe" on the quilt.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:39 PM

My first rag quilt was made with cotton & 2 layers of flannel. Unfortunately I made the center flannel (my batting) the same size as the rest and started sewing them together. Well, it was too thick, so I had to rip out seams, and then go back and cut the center block smaller. I used a Sizzix die cutter & it cut the fringe which made it really fast and my 3 pieces were already stuck together. My next ones I use a smaller square in the center. I had read that flannel will stick together without sewing it in, which I don't do. So far, I haven't had any problems when washed, but I've give these away as baby quilts, so if they have fallen apart, I haven't been told.