Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Value of a kit vs purchasing yardage for the pattern >

Value of a kit vs purchasing yardage for the pattern

Value of a kit vs purchasing yardage for the pattern

Old 09-25-2013, 08:03 AM

The value would come under the convenience category. Price wise, I don't think they are too different. Especially when you throw in the cost of the pattern. I purchased one kit because I thought it was too cute for a little boy. I had plenty of fabric, it finished as per the picture. Very convenient BUT I did buy it for the picture/pattern.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:26 AM

The only experience I have had with kits is with Glacier Quilts in Montana I bought 4 of the same kit and each was wonderful. Overly generous on the cuts and everything was right there. Now all the men in my life have matching flannel quilts I also used one kit from Keepsake Quilting and was not happy with it at all. Guess you just have to take a chance
Old 09-25-2013, 09:33 AM

Bought a kit from Connecting Threads and the pannel was missing and when I called connecting thread the refunded the total price of the kit and I kept material for the quilt. Will find something to go with it, but have not been able to find the pannel from Homemade from the Heart anywhere.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:48 AM

I find that I enjoy kits, but will only buy them if I love every single piece of fabric in the kit LOL I buy a ton of patterns and enjoy the freedom of buying my own fabrics most of the time, but sometimes I just enjoy having a kit to work with, just for something different. Usually the kits I buy are for wall hangings, bags, totes, etc. I've only bought 1 kit for a lapquilt at the MN Quilt Show last year, and only because it was just too damned cute not to buy it I've moved to Florida now, and am going to Quilt Fest tomorrow and if I see any cute kits I will buy them, along with fat quarters, fabric cuts, doodads and who knows what else ;-)
Old 09-25-2013, 10:50 AM
Power Poster

I have only made one quilt from a kit that I bought because of all the cat fabric in it. I wanted to make it slightly larger and there was enough fabric left over, with just a strip or two of mine, to do just that. It's a nice quilt, but I like to choose my own fabrics for a quilt. The one exception I make is when I make a family reunion quilt. I pick a color, my family members send fabric and I make a quilt from that fabric, just adding a background fabric sometimes, plus the backing. Besides wanting to leave a part of me behind to be remembered, it is a challenge sometimes to use the fabric they send, but it is one way I challenge myself to step outside the box.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I have a lot of Connecting Threads kits. I have always had fabric left over from them. Some kits with small pieces in the blocks from other places will put in small squares, just enough to cut the one piece. Once I see a kit is like that I don't buy any more. I am very happy with CT kits. I buy them when on clearance and use the fabric for other projects.
Connecting Threads always give extra fabric in kits and when buying yardage. But they are one of the very few that do. I have purchased kits and have not had enough fabric. Very frustrating! If I ever buy a kit now, and it is usually because I don't have the colors in my stash, I only buy from them. Hassle free!
Old 09-25-2013, 11:54 AM

I have stopped buying kits as I like to pick my own fabric colors. I have also found in one kit that I did buy one of the fabrics was missing and it was no longer in stock. So for me no more kits!
Old 09-25-2013, 01:35 PM

Well as for me I am a copy catter! If I see something I like I want the exact same thing, so I like to buy the kit it certainly take the guess work out of finding the fabrics, not to mention the time savings and headache. Plus I don't end up wasting fabric -- always seems to be just enough in the kits I have bought..... It is KITS for me..
Old 09-26-2013, 04:16 AM

I have bought several kits and they were all great. There are pros and cons for both-I have trouble at times selecting my fabric so the kit is great for that and at times I order on line and this is very convenient because at times I can't get out.Con-if you mis-cut or measure something wrong, you might not have enough fabric to correct your error.Fabric instead of kits-you do have to be able to select the correct fabric, which is a big issue with me. I have a closet full of fabric that I bought because I liked it, so now I have to try to match pieces together so I can use it.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19 View Post
So convenient-grab and go-and a timesaver too! But...is there extra for oopses or if you want to use more of one color than another? Are they cut evenly? Is anything ever missing? What's the mark up, have you ever figured it out?

Please share your kit buying experiences and things to watch for for those of us who are still a bit leery of those tempting plastic bag delights.
Over the years, I've purchased quite a number of kits. It depends on the individual store and an owner's color sense whether the fabric selections are outstanding or just so-so. Most of them are sitting in ArtBin containers waiting to be finished. I'll get to them one day. I've purchased them because I like 1. the pattern 2. like the pattern and can afford it or just 3. plain like it 4. like it and don't have to think too much. As a designer/teacher/writer, sometimes that's attractive. But I'm on my last kit for the foreseeable future. Why you ask?
The most immediate problem is the current costs of kits. Yikes, I've seen a few at $59! Times 12 and that's some serious money. The majority of kits I see cost $39.95 x 12 = $479.40 + mailing. I understand the cost of material and putting a kit together, but for almost $500, I can buy the book/pattern and make two completed quilts for that cost and have the fun of selecting my own fabrics. And for me, the real fun is in the planning stages even before I take a stitch.
So for now, I've sworn off kits--that's my firm decision . . . I think . . . for today anyway.
SandyQuilter