Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one? >

Am I the only one?

Am I the only one?

Old 09-24-2013, 06:32 PM

Nope-like you I have a job that requires lots of people contact. My alone time is precious and I enjoy every minute.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:15 AM

As an adult with a severe speech impediment (I stutter, badly!) I am a natural "loner". I do interact with people and students at school but prefer to be alone. As far as quilting goes I am very new to the art so I attend classes given by ladies in my church. I also love online tutorials and so far, this board! I guess, in general, I prefer to sew alone! I love turning up my music or listening to an audio book when I'm sewing!
Old 09-25-2013, 11:28 AM

QB is all the quilt guild I need. I worked in the public eye for 40 years and I enjoy being alone in my sewing room. I need the alone time to be creative and to pay attention to what I'm doing.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
I am just starting to quilt again after several years. One of the things I love about it is that I can create beautiful things in my own home without having to deal with a lot of people. I know that sounds antisocial, but I am an introvert and need my quiet time (I teach for a living.). I have no desire to join a club or a guild or take a class (other than online at my own pace). I enjoy this forum very much, though. I get great ideas here, and I love seeing other's projects. Are there other lone (and happy to be that way) quilters out there, or is it just me?
I am not an introvert, what I don't like is driving at night, or just plain going out at night. I do like getting together with people to sew but it seems so hard to arrange. I do enjoy watching tv and quilting in my lady cave.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:06 PM

Location: Cabin at the lake.. on my way to Brunswick as soon as the house is complete

I agree. I am not an introvert but I do like my alone time. I am semi retired, still work about 10-15 hours a week as a Geriatric Social Worker and usually get the cases that require a lot of hand holding and that are highly emotionally charged, so when I get the time to be alone I cherish it.

DH has been gone for 6 weeks, we are building in GA. He comes back next week and I felt so bad tonight when we spoke, I said don't you want to take another week or 2 to monitor the building and finish up things. He said no...so I guess I will take this weekend cleaning up, I have my cutting board set up on the kitchen table, the ironing board in the living room ( was watching a movie and also pressing some seams). My quilting books and magazines spread all over. Does not take much for me to drag everything I own out when he is not here.

I did expand my sewing room at the next house to 20 x 40 realizing that I need the space and DH agreed that this is needed as I recently ( March) started collecting (rescuing) old machines...up to 28 as of today.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:00 PM

No, you are not the only one. My quilting is not social, although I've been tempted to look for a guild. I don;t think I am a good enough quilter to join up. A perfectionist I am not, I just enjoy the process and then giving them away. I'm afraid to give anyone a chance to critique me.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:20 AM

I also feel the same way you do. I enjoy sewing on my own and that's my quiet time. When I have distractions is when I mess things up. My husband and I are loners anyway. We go out with friends and so forth, but we're rarely the ones to initiate the get togethers.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:19 AM

There are a lot of us in the lone quilters group... me too. I was a special education teacher in Florida for years ... I now live in rural Kansas ... I dont even play music anymore ... once in a while I watch t.v. ... I love "natural silence" these days such as the birds chirping, crickets, wind, etc. I also love this quilting community, Craftsy and The Quilt Show. "Silence is golden". Happy quilting everyone!
Old 09-27-2013, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
I am just starting to quilt again after several years. One of the things I love about it is that I can create beautiful things in my own home without having to deal with a lot of people. I know that sounds antisocial, but I am an introvert and need my quiet time (I teach for a living.). I have no desire to join a club or a guild or take a class (other than online at my own pace). I enjoy this forum very much, though. I get great ideas here, and I love seeing other's projects. Are there other lone (and happy to be that way) quilters out there, or is it just me?
I'm weird too. I enjoy being with people, but as I grow older (51), I'm enjoying being alone more and more. I think it is because I put so much time into my children (5) that I longed for 'time alone' and finally I have a chance and really can't seem to get enough of it--as long as I can sew.

The thought of actually going to a guild meeting doesn't excite me at all.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:44 AM

Nice to know there are so many lone quilters out there. I am an online "mixer" where sewing and quilting is concerned, and then once a year only, I go to a class at the Quilt Festival, and it takes me a week to "come down" off it but it enthuses me quite a lot for the next year. It is also enough for me for the next year. I am a real introvert, and finally have a dream job where I have very little public contact and work with lovely people, but I love my time alone. I am also SLOW at my hobbies. Slow at sewing and SLOW at quilting, and that's how I like it. Patience and time...no need for speed in a hobby. I also spend less because of the slowness...