Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
i'm so excited!!!! >

i'm so excited!!!!

i'm so excited!!!!

Old 09-29-2013, 11:15 PM

you guys are awesome!! sorry for posting and running but we went down to portland (i live in seattle) to get it and stayed for the weekend, just got in tonight.

it is POURING rain and i don't want to bring it in until the rain stops so it's staying in the trunk for now. i'm excited to use it but the timing for getting this is kind of busy because i've been pretty busy and have had the worst headache of my life for over two weeks, so i'm not quite ready to jump into something so daunting.

honestly, unfortunately the reason i went so long without a machine was that there was a family emergency right after my machine broke -- my grandmother had a heart attack and i went to ontario to be with her and so i was there for six weeks caring for her *and* my dad, who had a heart attack while i was there. it was all really stressful and to be honest, i came back a different person. then my grandmother died and i was even more changed and for months i didn't do much of anything. then i took up knitting and i guess that distracted me for a while.

also, i am very new to quilting. i started, made a couple simple things, then it broke. i didn't want to put money into that machine and knew a good one would become available at some point, i just kept calling stores to check in.

anyway, now i'll be back. i started piecing a top for my dad right before my machine broke and when i he had his heart attack and i learned his heart kept stopping on the operating table, one of my first thoughts was "he can't die, i didn't get to finish that quilt!"
Old 09-29-2013, 11:20 PM

it's definitely going to take a while to learn to use that machine, so many features and it has a computer part... and technology sure isn't my friend.

it was kind of a stressful experience though. i put the place in my phone and we were following the directions in the pouring rain, a bunch of stuff had fallen off a truck and was scattered all over the highway, so that was terrifying. Then my husband missed an exit which brought us way off course. my lesson on using the machine was at 1 but I wanted to go at 12 to make sure that was the machine i wanted but even having left at 10:50 we didn't get there til 12:40. well i had called friday and had them put the machine on hold after confirming the machine was in excellent condition. so we get there, they had put the wrong machine on hold. then I told the guy the one i wanted and he said he could sell it for $1200. Then he agreed to 1k like he was doing me a big favour, even though that was what i told when i called FOUR separate times. then I asked about the condition again and he said no one had looked at it yet. the machine was so dusty it's possible no one had touched it in a year (so i'm not sure what made him say it was in excellent condition)! so then we had to wait for him to look it over and clean it. that took an hour and i thought about having the lesson on their demo model but figured i should just wait so I'd have the instructor doing an extra look at mine.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:58 PM

Wow! Take a breath, arm yourself with an umbrella and plastic sack and rescue your baby! If you don't, you'll just lie in bed worrying about someone stealing your car.
Enjoy your new machine.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:50 AM

So sorry about your dad and grandma. And then that ordeal with the machine... I think you need a week off, with no responsibilities, to play with her. Go for it!
Old 09-30-2013, 05:00 AM

Kristel: Wow, rough year. Hope things are going better. How frustrating to deal with a seller that wasn't straight with you, but now you have your machine and can forget about him. A quilt for your Dad, what a great first project! Be sure and show us pictures and if you run into any problems just ask for help. There are so many experienced people on this Board that are always willing to lend a hand.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:36 AM

yes, i'm so excited to get started!! i might just restart the quilt for my dad, i haven't decided. i'm hoping to get much straighter seams this time!
Old 09-30-2013, 01:37 PM

Have a great honeymoon!
Old 09-30-2013, 02:27 PM

Congrats... I have an horizon 7700 and I love it.

hugs

Caroline