Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Quilting....wish I had looked here first >

Hand Quilting....wish I had looked here first

Hand Quilting....wish I had looked here first

Old 10-01-2013, 01:19 AM

Your quilt is magnificent! I've been wondering how it was coming along since you posted the pic of it in progress. It really is an heirloom. Are you using a frame or hoop?

I made a wallhanging for a friend which was pieced and appliqued with many seams. Hand quilted it with silk batting and it was so nice to quilt through that I did more detailed quilted than I ever thought I would do. I've tried some wool batting samples from The Batty Lady and it was almost as good. Yes it is expensive but it's well worth it for a unique quilt like this, and think of the hours that went into it.

What kind of thread did you use for the piecing, and what stitch? I have read on this board about using silk thread and buttonhole stitch.

Congratulations on an amazing job. Hope you will post some more pics, including close ups.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Shows how different we all are .......
.......... for me, and after all that work,
I shudder at the thought of LAQ,
and feel that hand quilting is the only way to go!

As I said ...... we all have different thoughts on this and I respect you for yours.
I thought the same thing!! And it's a great thing we have lots of options!

Although, I will say that after hand quilting 2 or 3 Grandma's flower Garden quilts, I pay attention w/ my quilting designs so that i don't have to quilt thru all those seams!!!
Old 10-01-2013, 01:24 AM

One of these days I will learn to proof read before I post.....I meant to say I use one thimble above and one below and lap quilting only one thimble. Have never tried two needles at a time lol....one of these days.....
Old 10-01-2013, 01:59 AM

Magnificent, wish I could do that...keep trying with the quilting.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:41 AM

No advice or help from me but the quilt is gorgeous!
Old 10-01-2013, 03:05 AM

Beautiful quilt. I'm not really much of a hand quilter but am trying to quilt a churn dash I hand pieced years ago. I do stab stitching over the seams and it works well. Would you mind sharing where you got your pattern? I want to make a hexagon quilt and love yours.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:52 AM

I have hand quilted many quilts. I would not take out all that work that you have already done. While the batting will make a difference, I would say it will not make enough difference to go through the trouble to change it. Just remember it for next time. And I do hope you do not give up after this one! It does get easier and faster the more you do it. I find smaller needles make smaller stitches, but while you are learning, longer ones are fine. Don't worry too much about getting tiny stitches right now. That will come with time. Focus more on even stitiches. I like Hobbs Poly-down for hand quilting. I like quilts to be puffy around the stitching and this puffs up nicely and is easy to quilt through. Your quilt is stunning!!!!! Don't give up!!!! (If you want to see some of my handquilted quilts, search for pictures I have posted. You will enjoy the ones made with 1930's reproduction prints.)
Old 10-01-2013, 07:29 AM

Wow, that is a beautiful quilt. I am sure it will look fantastic with the hand quilting you are doing.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:01 AM

I agree with AZ Jane the clover silicon thimble is wonderful, as for your quilt I think you should go ahead and finish it,it is really lovely,no quilt has to be perfect, yours will be unique. Love Letty.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:11 AM

Beautiful quilt!!!