Breaking Bad

Old 10-02-2013, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

I have never watched it.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:50 AM

I found this show to be anything but a comedy. Nothing funny here. Rather than glorifying meth, the show intended to do the opposite. I showed how one man, over a period of 2 years, went from being a loving family man to decending into the depths of evil and in the process killed lots of people, lost his family and in the end, his life.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:34 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kellen46 View Post
I have never watched this show, nor will I if I can help it. I do know the premise, how not too with everyone on Televison babbling on how great it is. I worked for more than 20years in the area of child protection. I have seen up close and personally how methamphetamine, and drug use in general can and does everyday wreak havoc on children and their families. I have held an infant in my arms and watched as waves of tremors confounded his body. I have tried in vain to explain to his mother how her meth use during pregnancy caused his, physical and possible mental, vision, and hearing defects. He would need intensive services for most of his childhood. She could not accept this nor could she stop using meth, he was lost to her and placed into the foster care system...best outcome would be that he could be adopted by a family that could and would deal with his on going issues. So no I don't think this is entertainment, nor do I find it amusing that some candy makers are presenting a "blue Meth" candy for children. Methamphetamine is a devastating drug, maybe worse in it effects than Opiates and hallucinogens combined. Why would I want, even passively, support a media enterprise that makes meth seem like a harmless hijink drug. I also do not support comics that present a joke about taking Meth. Would you find a program about the realities of this drug use and manufacture so amusing? I hope not because for twenty years I watched that show up close and personally. The toll drugs took on children and families will haunt me forever.
This show did a really great job of showing the realities of the meth trade, and the tragic human toll it takes. Meth use was never portrayed for a minute as harmless recreation. Maybe if you'd actually watched it you wouldn't have such wrong ideas about it.

I thought it was one of the best dramas on TV, although it was absolutely brutal in it's portrayal of meth use and production. I felt all the loose ends got tied up in the finale. I came to love Jesse, the one character who actually learned from his mistakes and changed inside during the series. Walt was always changing for the worse. So was Skylar. By the end, Skylar was just totally selfish, evil, and callous about human life. She was the only evil person in the series who was allowed to live and get away with her sins, in the end. Too bad Walt gave her a way out.

Part of me wanted Hank to win in this war with Walt. He was the 'good guy', tho not perfect. It about killed me when Hank was killed off. But after all, it's Walt's story and the ending needed to be about Walt. I am glad Jesse and Saul got away. Hate that Mike died. I liked Mike. It wasn't the same after Mike was murdered.

One thing that was left hanging was what happened to little Brock. He wasn't shown after his mother was killed. She was a single parent so I wondered what happened to Brock or if Jesse would try to reconnect with him later.

Great show!!
Old 10-02-2013, 08:30 PM

There were few loose ends with the finally, but one was Brock. BB was a shocker show and it did that well, there was seldom a show that I didn't think on some part of it at least for one day. Very enjoyable.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by mspeg View Post
I found this show to be anything but a comedy. Nothing funny here. Rather than glorifying meth, the show intended to do the opposite. I showed how one man, over a period of 2 years, went from being a loving family man to decending into the depths of evil and in the process killed lots of people, lost his family and in the end, his life.
I agree with you!
Old 10-03-2013, 07:58 AM

He was saying it that way, because he knew the police would hear him, he wanted them to think she was completely innocent. He was protecting her.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:04 AM

I agree with sewbizgirl, if anything it shows a person who is very smart, who set out with good intentions, providing for his family - probably the best intentions anyone who wants to cook meth, can't control the devastating reactions to his actions. There's no way someone can get into the meth business and just walk away without repercussions that will devastate a good family. The writing and acting on BB was phenomenal, none of the actors were meth users. I just heard that Jesse lost 45 lbs to get the role 5 years ago.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:06 AM

I think Jesse went back to take care of Brock, Jesse has learned good lessons and will be a law abiding citizen after all this mess.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:07 AM

Marie was 1 egg short of a full dozen!
Old 10-03-2013, 08:14 AM

I couldn't feel sorry for Skyler at all, first of all she smoked while she was pregnant! In the beginning she was such a controlling nag to Walt, I just wanted to reach into the TV screen and slap her. After she learned about how Walt was cooking meth, it didn't take her very long to start figuring out how to launder the money and start spending it!!!!
Skylers personality was unstable, when she could no longer call the shots and push everyone around, she was in a depression where she didn't care about anyone but herself. She loved her kids but she was chain smoking in the house. I thought it was interesting how her hair and clothing styles changed especially after she quit working for Beneke.