Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's your fabric "personality"? >

What's your fabric "personality"?

What's your fabric "personality"?

Old 10-02-2013, 07:54 AM

I have a little stash now that fits in a 3 cabinet piece like kitchen cabinets up on the wall. The bottom shelf on one side is for yardage big enough for backings and less that backing size goes everywhere else divided out by color. I tend to make 2 basic quilt sizes. 60 inches square lap size/toddler size and queen size. I started some table runners a couple years ago that still aren't done, but they are getting closer. I promised myself no more projects until those are finished. My stash is quite a bit of buying scrap bins from other people, especially on this board. I find when I go to purchase fabric I do one of 2 things. I pick colors and styles based on the recipient. I am drawn to all the dark earthy tones of CW fabrics and those and fabrics similar to them are a considerable amount of my stash. I'd like to get some 30's some day cause I've seen some great fabrics that are 30s style prints, but no fabric yet.

Brights and jewel tones are throughout my stash but not as many and all of them definitely outside my comfort zone, but they were acquired so I would have some in the event I would need to make a quilt they would enjoy. I made my husband an anniversary sampler for our 10th and it's cream, gold and deep red and green. Small prints, very earthy. I recently figured out we don't have enough quilts for our bed so I am inspired to make him something else.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:13 AM
Power Poster

Truthfully? I love working with most any color. It is the hue that is important to me and that it is workable with the pattern I am working with. I like tasteful fabrics. Something that when you are finished you think to yourself, I love this!

The novelties are so fun to play with when I am in a mood to play. There are so many little projects that they are fun in. The floral is perfect for a woman's gift, whether it is a quilt or bag.

I suppose working to finish up charity items that were donated for the drive for diabetes auction has my stash all over the place. But, it is fun to step out of your comfort zone once in a while. I do keep them in their own bin, so it helps to not confuse them with my items.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:47 AM

Spring and summer colors that pop. My house is very neutral but I lean towards pink, orange, aqua and greens for my fabric. If I can mix a black or silvery grey in I'm super happy. I love the snowmans gathering line and the more non traditional Christmas colors for winter like cream, midnight blue and a richer tan for fall and winter.

My fabric shopping tends to go with seasons. I noticed when the weather changed I changed my fabric preferences. One day I want to make a quilt out of bright paisleys and one out of plaid. Those are my two favorite patterns.

One thing I do not buy at all is batiks or purple. They just don't do anything for me at all.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:52 AM

This is a very good question! I have a very eclectic assortment in my stash; batiks, Asian style, 30's, lots of black & whites, lots of blenders, florals and lots of white and off-white tone-on-tone. I also keep a bolt of white, snow white, navy blue and black. I do not collect novelty or bright fabrics. Also not a big fan of Fassett (or that style) or the modern styles coming out. I will say, however, I'm glad it's popular because it appeals to the younger quilters (and some older quilters too!) and gets them interested in quilting.

I didn't used to care for Civil War reproductions but am starting to collect that style now; still don't care for the really dark fabrics though. Never cared for Kansas Troubles or Thimbleberries - - - too dark for me. My least favorite colors are orange, teal/aqua and grey. I only have one orange top in my wardrobe; wear black pants quite a bit when I'm not wearing jeans and the only grey clothing I have is my sweatpants.

I've also really gotten into scrappy quilting these past few years - - - using up what I have to make something fun. Unless I'm making something specific for someone with particular colors, I tend toward scrappy. I also consider myself a traditional quilter and lean toward the traditional style.

So I would say my fabric 'personality' is multiple personality disorder.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:00 PM
Power Poster

Does the "THREE FACES of EVE" ring a bell?
peace
Old 10-02-2013, 05:37 PM

I LOVE FABRIC! My favorites seem to be those with vines, scroll patterns or medium sized geometric shapes. I seem to prefer brighter hues as opposed to more subdued. I like all shades of blue and have a week spot for fabric with stars.