Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the scoop with Joannes fabric vs QSQ? >

What is the scoop with Joannes fabric vs QSQ?

What is the scoop with Joannes fabric vs QSQ?

Old 10-02-2013, 02:19 PM

I was into Joann's today and looked at some fabric that I thought was cute it was Scotty Dog Christmas print and I have a Scotty,BUT when I felt it and picked it up to the light and looked at it wow it was very thin. I could see through it I didn't even take the time to look at the price as I would not think of buying it. There prices have gone up
so I don't think I will be going back.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:32 PM

[QUOTE=feline fanatic;6326720
I find JoAnne's pricing tactics unfair and I don't find many of their fabrics to be as nice as name brand stuff, such as Hoffman, Kaufman, Moda, etc. The prices are inflated so they can offer those 40 to 60% off coupons. I just get a bad taste in my mouth from that so I only shop JoAnn for notions and cutting tools when I have a good coupon or they are having a killer sale. I am much happier with fabric I can find on line on sale or at an LQS.[/QUOTE]

I agree. When they bring in holiday merchandise, it immediately is 40% off...but the "full" price is totally ridiculous. I priced one thing, and their 40% off was the same as Big Lots full price.
I hate it when any store tries to b.s. the customer.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:27 PM

I saw a bolt of flannel online for $164.99--marked down to $163.99. I assume that since it is marked down, it would no longer qualify for 40% off, since it isn't regular price. I take Joanne's coupons to my local Hancock's.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:31 PM

I've found that any store I go to has some wonderful fabrics and also some I would rather not use.

Naturally I prefer the lowest price on anything, and sometimes that may mean lower quality as well, but not always. I've found really nice fabrics that were less expensive than ones that were questionable.

So for me it's a case of feel it and then decide - no matter where I'm shopping. And also explains why I do very little fabric shopping online.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:53 PM

I think the price is too high for the quality. BUT..... I'm doing art quilts and they and Hancocks are the only stores around selling unique fabrics.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:20 PM

In UK we have a cheap fabric shop called abakhan. I was told by a QSOwner they sold cheap fabric. They have a section of craft fabric pieces,where I have been known to shop. Recently at a course the teacher said it was very good quality fabric I had where did I buy it should I tell the truth? I must admit I am very careful what I buy. But I do find some shops have the same differences in quality.
Look but mainly feel the fabric it tells you a great deal.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:55 AM
Power Poster

There is a large fabric store in Fayetteville, Tn called Sir's Fabrics. I have always enjoyed shopping there. It is like a large warehouse on both sides of the street.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:16 AM

Two years ago I made a flannel rag quilt for my niece's baby. I used mostly quilt store quality flannel and a few pieces from Jo Ann's. Last week I saw the quilt again and every single piece of flannel from Jo Ann's had literally shredded--the other stuff looked great. I was totally embarrassed! No more Jo Ann fabric for me.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:38 AM

I no longer purchase fabrics from JoAnn's or Walmart for quilt projects. Prices do not substantiate their lower quality fabrics. I purchase a lot of fabric on line and have not encountered any dissatisfaction. I use http://quiltshops.com/
in my searches, over 350,000 fabrics, just enter the name of the fabric, or manufacturer or theme in the search. Your
results will show all the various quilt shops for your search and prices. I have found some really great deals.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by LuvNmyLabs View Post
I no longer purchase fabrics from JoAnn's or Walmart for quilt projects. Prices do not substantiate their lower quality fabrics. I purchase a lot of fabric on line and have not encountered any dissatisfaction. I use http://quiltshops.com/
in my searches, over 350,000 fabrics, just enter the name of the fabric, or manufacturer or theme in the search. Your
results will show all the various quilt shops for your search and prices. I have found some really great deals.
Thanks so much for sharing this site!