Tri Flow; Pros and Cons

Old 10-03-2013, 04:33 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew View Post
Miriam, at what phase did you use Evapo-rust? Did you brush it on, soak the machine bottom section, or ?? Does it penetrate, or just neutralize surface rust and turn it to black (iron phosphate?) Look forward to your tutorial. I've got a 15-88 in a plastic tub with a lid, that I spray down, occasionally, then see if I can rock it a bit. It's so rough that mostly its a test piece, "let's see what happens if I..." Haven't tried heat yet though, maybe this weekend.
I wasn't brave enough to soak the whole thing in E-O-R. I took off shiny metal parts and put them in Evap-o-rust - soaked until it looked like the rust was off. If they turn dark you need to use some chrome polish with rust remover in it. A lot of it was old dried oil down there so it was not really as bad as it looked. The moving parts were somewhat protected by dried oil. The tolerances are so close, there isn't room for much rust in the 'moving' parts. I don't like the idea of E-O-R inside the moving parts - maybe it's ok - maybe just me. I also polished up with some chrome cleaner. The black is kind of different to work with. It wasn't terribly rusted so I got a lot of it off with E-O-R but I'm squeamish about wire brushing that or buffing too hard. I think it is just bluing like DH uses on guns. The upper back end was in fairly good shape but I haven't done anything to the motor end of it yet. I put all the pieces back on the machine before I stuck it aside. I had way too much other stuff to do more pressing. E-O-R does not take off old dried oil. You might need a solvent for that. I can see I need to get some solvent and go back at a few places before I move on to the motor end. The chain oil is heavy - I do not recommend it for much other than in situations with all that rust between moving parts. I had to clean it off and then use T-F but that oil had something in it that penetrated and took care of the rust. I kind of worked on that machine when I had some time when I wasn't wanting to start a whole new project. I knew I would only be working on it a little here and a little there. It will be a long time before I get back to that one.

Last edited by miriam; 10-03-2013 at 04:39 AM.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mlmack View Post
Seriously, what does putting hardware in a bottle of Tri-Flow oil do?
stirs it up a bit more when you shake it - if it only reminds you to shake it...
Old 10-03-2013, 04:48 AM

When it comes to lubricants, there have been so many products sold that purport to offer some miraculous properties that will make them worth the extra money. (Marvel Mystery Oil, STP, 3in1, Liquid Wrench, WD40, ad nauseum). For example, "synthetic" motor oil (I'll admit, I've used them for years in my vehicle) are made from petroleum as well as "dinosaur-based" oil. It's just that there are more processing steps, and in some cases more specific additives. Graphite and teflon have all had their phases in motor oil, but are not largely used, sometimes because they penetrated so well, that they would leak through gaskets. Here's a link on motor oil, synthetic vs. "old school" http://www.consumersdigest.com/automotive/motor-oil
I bought a little needle nose dispenser of clock oil, from a local clocksmith who sells the product online. not to plug anyone but just search for clockoil(.com). Clock oil is also to be used one drop at a time, and you put another drop on in a year, in a hole with a pin, and severe loads, but I don't know that it's not repackaged snail-slime...
BTW, I'm not dissing TF, I use the heck out of it, and their spray, and grease, I'd just like to know what the real differences are between products, not subjected to my usual susceptability to advertising hype...
Old 10-03-2013, 04:55 AM
Power Poster

My former boss used to own an oil lab. I asked him about using the synthetic oils on my machines. He said they are too thick. He said I need a very thin oil on a SM. I showed him the T-F and he thought it was a good choice but since he didn't still have the lab he couldn't tell me much.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew View Post
When it comes to lubricants, there have been so many products sold that purport to offer some miraculous properties that will make them worth the extra money. (Marvel Mystery Oil, STP, 3in1, Liquid Wrench, WD40, ad nauseum). For example, "synthetic" motor oil (I'll admit, I've used them for years in my vehicle) are made from petroleum as well as "dinosaur-based" oil. It's just that there are more processing steps, and in some cases more specific additives. Graphite and teflon have all had their phases in motor oil, but are not largely used, sometimes because they penetrated so well, that they would leak through gaskets. Here's a link on motor oil, synthetic vs. "old school" http://www.consumersdigest.com/automotive/motor-oil
I bought a little needle nose dispenser of clock oil, from a local clocksmith who sells the product online. not to plug anyone but just search for clockoil(.com). Clock oil is also to be used one drop at a time, and you put another drop on in a year, in a hole with a pin, and severe loads, but I don't know that it's not repackaged snail-slime...
BTW, I'm not dissing TF, I use the heck out of it, and their spray, and grease, I'd just like to know what the real differences are between products, not subjected to my usual susceptability to advertising hype...
Not many gaskets on my sewing machines...
Old 10-03-2013, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by mlmack View Post
Seriously, what does putting hardware in a bottle of Tri-Flow oil do?
Same idea as the little tiny ball in a bottle of nail polish.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Living4Him View Post
Same idea as the little tiny ball in a bottle of nail polish.

The mixture in the T-F bottles will "settle" like oil/vinegar salad dressing. Shaking it up keeps the "particulates in suspension" so you are not just putting on the carrier stuff alone.

I have thought about putting it in a glass bottle to see what happens.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I find it strange when folks use a good product then denigrate it when it does it's job. Tri-Flow oil has solvents it it. It also has PTFE in it. The solvents will dissolve the old oils but you have to clean the residue off then reoil the parts. The combination of dissolving the old lube and the PTFE might be the residue left behind.

I use regular SM oil in the motors. I use Tri-Flow every where else. I have used it on 100 year old machines all the way up to machines made in the 90s and have yet to see any evidence of paint removal.

I don't have any musical instruments to use it on, but I do have a couple of vintage mechanical and one electric typewriters I'm going to use it on. I expect the typewriters will work much better afterwards.

The ONLY con I find with Tri-Flow is you shouldn't use their grease in Singer motors. What makes it great on gears is the same thing that makes it unsuitable in motors.

Joe
You say it has solvents in it, but it is a good overall lubricant? I have used it without any problems, but didn't realize that it has solvents in it and don't know if that is a good or a bad thing for general lubrication.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
When you buy a bottle of T-F do you open it up and drop in a nut or a screw so you can hear it shake around? That stuff needs to be shook up.
Nope, I just shake the heck out it. I've not found it to need an agitator.

Joe
Old 10-03-2013, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Grandma Nancy View Post
You say it has solvents in it, but it is a good overall lubricant? I have used it without any problems, but didn't realize that it has solvents in it and don't know if that is a good or a bad thing for general lubrication.
Yes, it is. That is what I use it for. The solvent is there to keep the lubricated area clean. The PTFE is there to add to the lubricating qualities.
I do not use T-F as a cleaner, it's not only too expensive for that, there are better cleaners to be had.

Joe