Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary cutter - which one >

Rotary cutter - which one

Rotary cutter - which one

Old 10-03-2013, 04:28 PM

I started with that Fiskars cutter. But several years ago I bought a Martelli cutter at a quilt show and I am never going back. I have issues with my shoulders and it is real easy on the shoulders.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 10-03-2013, 04:39 PM
Power Poster

I had a Fiskars when I started years ago, but I now use nothing but Olfa's with a straight handle. I do use either hand to cut, so the straight handle is a must!
Old 10-03-2013, 05:01 PM

I bought that same cutter some time ago and it fell apart on me. I have lots of other brands tho, and have not had problems with them.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:38 PM

I have always used olfas until I got my 45mm gingher so I use that mostly now, and use my 60mm olfa for thicker stuff. I prefer quick change to the ergonomic. When I got the 60mm quick change I like the feel of it better than my 45mm ergonomic
Old 10-03-2013, 06:22 PM

I have that same one. I loved it at first. It fit my hand well, it cut well and I loved the easy button to retract the blade. But after about 6 months the blade would randomly stick and not spin. So when cutting a long strip, there were parts uncut. Very frustrating! I changed the blade and cleaned it, but it hasnt helped. I think its time for me to switch cutters! I do agree with others tho...You absolutely need a hard, flat surface to cut on.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:23 PM

... I plan on keeping this one to cut paper.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:26 PM

I have Fiskars 45 mm. It works fine. My Fiskars blades don't last as long as I think they should, though.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:23 AM

I have the Olfa ergonomic one and love it. I've used other brands but don't like them as well. I have a friend and a daughter-in-law who didn't like using rotary cutters and I found that they were both trying to use more of a saw like motion of rolling it back and forth. When I showed them that one forward swipe using the ruler as a guide worked they were amazed. Also if you have more than one blade in them they won't work well. Sometimes the blades stick together when you're changing them. Rotary cutters need to be used with a ruler to get a good straight line. I can see where using them without a ruler would be difficult.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:31 AM
Power Poster

I have several rotorary cutters that I really like. My favorite for standard cutting is the ergonomic cutter. I have a 28mm and a standard 45mm and also a 60mm. I did purchase a Gingher (after saving for several months for it) rotorary cutter and was not impressed at all comparing the price vs quality.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:34 AM

I think any problem I have with rotary cutters is the blade. I would recommend any that automatically closes after you are finished using it. I have some that don't and I find myself laying them down with the blade out, and then let it drop or anything else that puts a nick in the blade. I buy my blades at Harbor Freight. Some people don't like them, but I have had good luck with them. They are so inexpensive that I can change them often and not feel bad that I am using so many. They are used in carpet cutters, so you know they have to be sharp to cut through that.