Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just thinking. (how I look at quilt) >

Just thinking. (how I look at quilt)

Just thinking. (how I look at quilt)

Old 10-03-2013, 10:51 AM
Power Poster

We live in a world of instant gratification and I think that spills over into our hobbies at times. If it ain't done in a flash there must be something wrong with us..... I am a process person so I revel in the process - the more involved, the better for me. I love to plan out my steps and work through them. A month is nothing in my projects. Then I throw in a DP9 or a charm piece - or a small community service project for the guild. I aim for balance in my life.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
I understand where you're coming from, and for me, the June Tailor shape cut ruler is one of the best things designed, since sliced bread. Here is a link:http://store.junetailor.com/store/p-...cut-ruler.aspx, please try it, you'll like it.
I was going to say that this ruler is available at a much lower price, but I googled it and mine is a different model. I really like mine though.

Dina

Last edited by Dina; 10-03-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:36 AM
Power Poster

If you don't want to sew little pieces together, find a different pattern that uses bigger pieces.

If you don't want to sew anything together at all, that's fine, too.

For most of us, quilting is an optional activity.

So - money was spent on acquiring the equipment and fabric - if it didn't take away from necessities, think of it as recreational money.

If one went on a vacation trip - money would have also been spent . If one goes golfing or to a movie - that usually costs something - and how many people lament that they don't replay the show in their minds over and over.

(DH usually 'replays' his golf game to me when he gets home, but that's usually only once per game!)
Old 10-03-2013, 01:00 PM

Same here, always look at the complex ones and think I would like to but then get drawn back into the simple ones. I have discovered if you do some research most of those complex ones have a much simplier way to getting the same look. I did a Crown of Thorns the simple way and noone was the wiser. Ohhhed and awwwwed over it and then I told them how I did it. They were amazed. Go ahead and try one of those complex with easier way it is worth it.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:29 AM

It is fun to rotate between easy and more detailed quilt projects....it keeps the boredom from settling in, .
Old 10-04-2013, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
I am the same way. I've decided that I'm going to have two projects ongoing: one will be challenging that I can work on in short sessions, the other will be easier with more immediate satisfaction. I figure I'll go through several quicker projects before I finish the harder one, but this way I can stretch myself without overloading myself and getting frustrated. I also have decided that I won't set deadlines--that is what makes me anxious--this is supposed to be fun!
AngeliaNR that is a good idea . I really do love this other one just do not think I can hold put that long. Going to try this
Old 10-04-2013, 05:13 AM

But a $40 man can not spend that kind of money on a ruler. bet it is nice to work with.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by mdall View Post
Same here, always look at the complex ones and think I would like to but then get drawn back into the simple ones. I have discovered if you do some research most of those complex ones have a much simplier way to getting the same look. I did a Crown of Thorns the simple way and noone was the wiser. Ohhhed and awwwwed over it and then I told them how I did it. They were amazed. Go ahead and try one of those complex with easier way it is worth it.
Oh ya I did that one not long ago I did love it. It came out good. getting better at lining thing up lol lol
Old 10-04-2013, 05:23 AM

now just have to say love reading all this and see I'm not the only one. Hope as I get better at quilting my way of looking at this will to.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:16 AM

Don't get discouraged, one month to make a quilt is fast for me. Quilt at a pace that's comforbable for you no matter how long it takes. I have a big project I'm working on with alot of very precise and small pieces which is at times trying but at the same time I'll break away and work on a quilt with my scraps, kinda like the crumb quilt and I love it.