Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bargello Time Update >

Bargello Time Update

Bargello Time Update

Old 10-04-2013, 04:58 AM

Oh, now I get it. I'm trying to work too many colors in it. Why didn't I figure that out sooner? I love this board. Now back to my colors. Will post another pic when I get more. Wow, my batik stash is growing,
Old 10-04-2013, 08:40 AM

Can you take # 9 in the front row and place it in # 5 or 6 in the back row? - wherever it fits by value. Then intermingle the browns in the front row with the yellows or the oranges - where ever they look best? That will give you 4 colour groups of eneven numbers of fabrics and I think your quilt will look great.
Eileen
Old 10-04-2013, 10:32 AM

Yesterday, I posted a response to you regarding the surf song quilt. I stated that the quilt had two basic colors, per the pattern, which should be divided into 12 variations of the two colors. I doubled check the pattern instructions and I wrongly stated that the 24 colors were equally divided. The pattern calls for 16 fabrics in your main color group and 8 in a similar color group. Fabrics in each color group should range from light to dark. Sorry for the mix up. Don't forget to make a color chart. It is really helpful. I have made bargello quilts before and they lots of fun and beautiful. Susan
Old 10-04-2013, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by susanjean View Post
Yesterday, I posted a response to you regarding the surf song quilt. I stated that the quilt had two basic colors, per the pattern, which should be divided into 12 variations of the two colors. I doubled check the pattern instructions and I wrongly stated that the 24 colors were equally divided. The pattern calls for 16 fabrics in your main color group and 8 in a similar color group. Fabrics in each color group should range from light to dark. Sorry for the mix up. Don't forget to make a color chart. It is really helpful. I have made bargello quilts before and they lots of fun and beautiful. Susan
Now I'm really confused. My head hurts from trying to sort these colors. I want to finish this, but maybe I better walk away from it for a bit.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:52 AM

I am speaking from a rag rug business that I sold. You need to have a high contrast of dark surrounded by an abrupt change to light. That will catch your eye. I'd take that dark brown and surround it with the bright yellows, then take the oranges and let them fade out, first lighter then next not so lighter, then to next daker then the greens. The bright high contrast of dark brown and bright yellow will catch your eye. But this is just my HUMBLE opinion. Marcia
Old 10-05-2013, 03:11 AM
Power Poster

I love your color selection. Looking forward to seeing the finished project.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
I am speaking from a rag rug business that I sold. You need to have a high contrast of dark surrounded by an abrupt change to light. That will catch your eye. I'd take that dark brown and surround it with the bright yellows, then take the oranges and let them fade out, first lighter then next not so lighter, then to next daker then the greens. The bright high contrast of dark brown and bright yellow will catch your eye. But this is just my HUMBLE opinion. Marcia
What do you think of this arrangement? The top row is extras. I think.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	439773  
Old 10-05-2013, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
What do you think of this arrangement? The top row is extras. I think.
As per Battle Axe's opinion, you still need to move around the fabrics. I like her humble' opinion.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:19 PM

I really like ckcowl's suggestion on the copying of the fabrics. I will definitely be using that in the future.
Thanks, ckcowl!
Old 10-05-2013, 02:06 PM

I am not sure that the purple one goes with the rest as it than goes to red. The way I understand the Bargello you need a transition on to another color.