Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Sew cloth dolls and quilts to give away - good idea, yes? >

Sew cloth dolls and quilts to give away - good idea, yes?

Sew cloth dolls and quilts to give away - good idea, yes?

Old 10-05-2013, 05:18 AM

I love your idea, I remember my grandma had a baby for years that she clung to. I think just the doll and maybe a blanket is enough, as they sleep with them cuddled up next to them. In other words I'd put my time in making the dolls, and not bother with the baskets.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:58 AM

In my experience, a little larger is better than a little smaller for several reasons...they're easier for residents to hold onto, they're easier for the nursing and housekeeping staff to see and move if/when necessary, they're harder for other residents to secretly "borrow", and they're easier to launder.

Most residents that I knew kept their dolls/animals very close (in bed with them or tucked tightly in their arms) so you may want to reconsider the 'extras' that you mentioned and just stick with the dolls themselves. Many of the residents are Alzheimers or dementia patients and the details of a sleeping basket and bedding or change of clothes would either confuse them unnecessarily or not be used. Personal space is usually very limited. Checking with the head of nursing will give you a better idea of what would work best and is probably a step you should take before starting production.

Also, don't forget to add some kind of label that can be written on so when, not if, the doll makes it's way to another resident's room, it can find it's way back to the rightful owner without any questions.

Best of luck, it's a great idea and Christmas is a great time to start your donations. The staff at many facilities are always looking for new Christmas ideas.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:43 AM

I agree with Zinna and Ghostrider. I too was a nurse in a home and many of the residents loved dolls and coloring books...But be careful because when the state inspectors came in we were wrote up for "demeaning the residents". The inspectors had no idea of what the elderly and dementia residents could understand or wanted. We tried to tell them that this is what they enjoyed and understood but were told to remove the "childish" items from them. Some became very upset and could not understand why we would do such a thing as they had done nothing wrong. I just wanted to say to them that "what goes around comes around" and they would find out when they were in our residents shoes so to speak! Oh! I used to get so upset but when the state left gradually the residents were given back their belongings. We also made vests to wear and made sure the fabric design meant something to each person. Make them at least one to two sizes larger than they wear so they are easy to get off and on. Even the men wanted one. Don't hesitate and you can always ask on our board for help or let people you know what you need. There is always someone wanting to help but don't know how or where to look.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:22 AM

I think it's a wonderful idea! You might even consider making the dolls of a size that 'newborn' clothes would fit them. That way, the owner would be able to choose and buy the baby new clothes, if she/he wanted. Many people collect baby dolls and take great pleasure in changing the outfits, for different seasons/holidays.

Go for it!
Old 10-05-2013, 11:23 AM

Thank you for the idea of just the doll and blanket first. I didn't think of the politics that might be involved.

For my first doll I've decided to go with "Addison" @ http://www.dinkybaby.com/toddler-patterns.htm
If you click on the pic you'll see what a cutie she is! I already have the pattern and sculpture fabric and she's 18", so the AG patterns will fit her as well. Luckily I have some of those by McCalls. I'll make one with a little quilt and post her, but give me a few weeks.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:57 PM

What a great idea. How about one of the dolls that have a sleeping face, and an awake face? The skirt covers one of the faces. I usually use flannel for the sleeping baby, and a small cotton print for awake face. So the doll has two outfits, but they are attached.

Good luck with your venture.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:45 PM
Power Poster

the old saying never loose your dreams go for it!!!
Old 10-05-2013, 06:01 PM

Sounds like a wonderful idea.

The ones my friend Dawn makes are the size that preemie baby clothes will fit. She doesn't want to make the clothes, just the dolls. Hers are the ones that have the buttons at the shoulder and hip so arms and legs will move.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:41 AM

A doll takes a LOT of TIME. I wish you well and would love to see your dolls.

Thanks for posting the doll site.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:57 AM

I say go for it. The fact that you are thinking about again means it's time to begin. Just think of all the kindness you will be putting out into the world!