Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone ever bought this machine?? Go or no Go??? >

Has anyone ever bought this machine?? Go or no Go???

Has anyone ever bought this machine?? Go or no Go???

Old 10-05-2013, 07:13 AM
Power Poster

There are different models of Hello Kitty machines. The lowest price one is a toy and is 1/2 size. I bought my grand the 3/4 11706 (about $125) model when she first wanted a machine. It still works fine. Her mom uses it for mending and hemming. The 18750 (about $250) model is a basic Janome Jem with the Hello Kitty logo. I think there is another model, about $450, that is a full feature Janome Jem.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:23 AM

I would go for a box "Singer" from a discount store. They have all the basics and are easy to use. If she takes off and does fashion designs, she can upgrade once she knows what she wants to do. If she doesn't and it is a passing fancy, you will have a nice little machine for classes. Or she will have a nice little machine for whenever she wants to take it up again. Just like we used to do with typewriters in college.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:27 AM

I appreciate your thought but believe me I am getting it for her with no question asked because watching her life schedule at this age, you know she should be rewarded. My daughter is a senior, taking college classes (she will graduate with her Associate degree along with her HS), does volunteer on Saturdays at the hospital, and two other days helping a kindergarten teacher, plays piano, draws on canvas, beads, crochets (now making a beanie to send to her brother at college). I am not sure if I left something but you get the idea how badly I want to get the best for her, that's why I am questioning cuteness with quality).
She wants to take it to college with her (Which I thought was adorable) so I want to make sure it is decent and will last.

I love all the thoughts of this group and I wish I am on here more often, but I have a hectic life and God knows we all know we are not sewing as long as we are here...lol
Originally Posted by JenniePenny View Post
My process would be to offer the Hello Kitty machine as a reward for something like:
10 hours of lessons with you on one of your existing machines, or
Completion of a project

This way both of you determine her real interest and passion before spending the money. Give her a goal or a challenge and see if she rises to the occasion.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:29 AM

Wow that is amazing. How determined this little one is. Good for her.
Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I agree with JenniePenny! We helped my niece get her daughter a sewing machine. She's 8. She was really getting into sewing and it was a reward for different things. She made 3 preemie quilts. Hand tied a couple and SITD on the other. She hand-pieced some scraps of batting I had and also did a few things for me. I let her pick material from my stash and she also bought some with money earned. She is having a ball! We had wondered though if it was a phase she was going through because she hadn't done any thing for about a month or more. Turns out she was building her own stash getting material (old clothes) from the neighbors. She wanted to have her own and not borrow from anyone else.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:34 AM

I thought about that too and I am thinking to take care her to sewing machines plus in San Diego as I know they have the machine, and a ton of other ones, and let her try it. when I first started I had a basic brother machine my sister got me from Costco and thought it was the best, even with all the tension headaches, then when I got my first Viking machine I thought what the heck I was doing and did I piece and quilt for months on the brother...lol
BUT it was a really good startup machine
Originally Posted by Weezy Rider View Post
Does she realize the size of the "Hello Kitty?' An older machine just might work better. I can sort of understand about her liking the cachet of the "Hello, Kitty" I'm not into brands, but there are just certain machines I simply do not like because of shape or color. I had a pink Riccar, good basic machine, but never liked the color. Did not like the Pfaffs between the 1400 series and the 2100 series. Same for Viking. I liked the 1+, but don't like the new ones. Wouldn't buy one of the decorated Berninas, either. I didn't care for the Brother PC6500, but liked the Babylock version which wasn't an awful green.

I'm surprised at "Hello Kitty" Usually it's Fashion Runway. I'd take her to see the machine if you can, and also a store where they sell older used machines. Let her play, then make a decision.

My daughter (around 8 at the time) learned to sew on my Pfaff 1475. She even matched stripes on a Tshirt. She wanted nothing to do with the 2144 later on. She hated the machine. She got the Ellure which she liked, even though the Ellure wasn't a top of the line.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:37 PM

I have to disagree with toverly on getting a Singer. They would have to pay me to take a new Singer off their hands, now, an old Singer would be a different story. I wouldn't buy her a new machine though, until she's finished a couple of projects, my opinions.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:27 PM
pw6

I have two of them and they sew at one speed SLOW but great for beginners and if you have a need to sew slow curves or other close seams
Old 10-05-2013, 02:24 PM

Charming, your daughter seems very ambitious and smart and your pride shines through! This is indeed a whirlwind year for her.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:40 PM
Power Poster

Buy her the Hello Kitty she wants. Sometimes what is the best choice doesn't have to be the most sensible choice.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:26 PM

Thank you JenniePenny....;-)

Originally Posted by JenniePenny View Post
Charming, your daughter seems very ambitious and smart and your pride shines through! This is indeed a whirlwind year for her.