Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
charge for making a quilt >

charge for making a quilt

charge for making a quilt

Old 10-05-2013, 07:51 AM

I see questions like this every week on the site. I have to say I do make quilts for others. If I purchase the fabrics, I charge the cost of the fabric plus tax and round up to whole dollar and add between 5-10 dollars for my time. If I need to drive a distance over 10 miles, I also will add the cost of gas to the figure. I do give the customer the option of picking up the fabrics themselves, I do give them the yardage needed for the complete quilt. I then charge $15 an hour to sew the quilt top (and I keep a complete list of starts and stops while sewing.) For quilting I charge the long arm quilting fee and if I do the quilting I charge a reduced rate for binding. I break the amounts for my time before I start the quilt. I estimate the time for sewing and let them know it is just an extimate. I do ask for 50% deposit before I start and once started it is not refundable. I so far have not been burned by a customer and have had some customer decide a quilt is too expensive and will think it over. I guess if they decide not to have a quilt made, that is their choice.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:21 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I said it in a very nice way.

I work full time, keep a clean house, take care of three cats, one dog and a pet bird. I get paid enough through my job that I can afford to give to kids, Grands. Great Grands, friends and some people I don't even know. When I give a quilt to someone and they cry at my generosity that is payment enough for me. I am working on my 125th quilt. I sew on weekends, a few hours in the evening. Since quilt making is a hobby, and I intend to keep it as such I would not do it for money.
This is my opinion and I am as entitled to it as everyone else is to theirs. Sorry if some don't like my opinion.
The comment was obviously not perceived as "nice" by many here, no matter how you meant it.

Many of us also work full time, care for pets and even aging parents, and run full house well; that's hardly exceptional.
Most of us make quilt gifts for our family, friends, community service AND military/civic service personnel and feel very blessed for doing so; that's not exceptional.
Many, many of us have made dozens or hundreds of quilts; that's not exceptional.
"Since quilt making is a hobby....." is NOT a true statement. It does not apply to everyone. It never has applied to everyone. This is a blanket statement.....and as such is just not true. Understandable from some, perhaps, but not true in a statement. That is something with which we can take exception.

For many of us, quilt making is an art form, an industry, a passion, a career, a talent, indeed a job, that *may* have started as a hobby, but has become much, much more. And thereby quilt making deserves to be respected by family, friends, fellow quilters (no matter *their* direction), the public in general. *That* is all we are making a point for here. Respect for the work as "we" do it -- hobby or otherwise.

Sometimes women can be their own worst enemies to each other as we all try to "establish" our place in the pecking order, when, in reality we should all be supportive of each other's place and being, with tender words and genuine understanding.
So, I hereby apologize for hurting the feelings of and upsetting anyone here with my remarks.

Jan in VA

Last edited by Jan in VA; 10-05-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
Exactly. The last time I hired a plumber it was $120 and took less than an hour. The last time I had work done on my car the hourly rate was almost $100 bucks an hour.

Ten bucks an hour to make a quilt is pretty low wages for skilled labor.
Just try taking your computer/laptop to a shop. They charge you to just walk in the door. I had a friend recently ask me if I'd make her a quilt from T shirts that were special to her & her husb. (now passed). I swore I'd never make a T shirt quilt but couldn't say no. She sent $100 with her shirts to "get me started". I had orig. thought I'd return that $ with her quilt but my son talked me into keeping it. Heck, shipping the finished quilt from Wash. state back to Ohio cost a bundle so that lessened my guilt. I could never have charged her what it should have cost to make since I had to get very creative with placements of the decals on ea. shirt. I'm so happy I did it though.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:43 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

http://www.woodtv.com/artprize/winners-of-artprize-2013

"GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) - "Sleeping Bear Dune Lakeshore" by Ann Loveless is the winner of ArtPrize 2013.

Loveless, of Frankfort, Mich., won the $200,000 grand prize with her landscape art quilt, which was displayed at the Gerald R. Ford Presidential Museum."

Oh yeah, this is a hobby quilter alright.

Jan in VA
Old 10-05-2013, 02:03 PM

There's lots of ways to say thank you; "Thank you", make a casserole, clean a house, pay it forward.....and give a quilt. We use the talents we have that the other person doesn't have. I was taught as a child to share and being selfish is a sin. I was also taught that because my father owned a business he worked harder than any of his employees and he paid the cost of risk. He lost money on some deals. As the contracting community went in and out of prosperity with the economy, so did our finacial status as a family. Many nights he received a call for AC to be repaired and he left us, often in the middle of dinner, to go service someone's AC. I've worked for the government for 14 yrs and they never intend to make a profit, but spend every dime they get.

My dad was respected for his hard work and the honest people paid him.

Respect for the government-that's a joke. People are selfish and will take and demand any handout they give.

I have self respect and charge for my quilts. I'm also willing to give to those people who are grateful.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:45 PM

Wow, that statement is a little hard to swallow, I don't think my time and work is worth a lot more than it really is, I know it is!!! You can not put price of your time or your craftsmanship. Yes I've seen some that are not worth anything but when you put all that time and LOVE into something you time is really worth more than you give yourself credit for!!!
Old 10-05-2013, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Tfch8184 View Post
This is just me and is so wrong. But I am just learning yet still basics. I offered to very close friends that if they bought all the material I would make the quilt. For me it works because then I still get more practice and I'm not breaking the bank at the same time. Usually these friends compensate me with a gift card to Dunkin donuts or an online shop so I can buy fabric and stuff.

I only do that because I seriously undervalue my work. I see the imperfections and can not justify what I would and should charge because someone who would buy the quilt is not getting perfect and that bothers me.
It sounds as though you just want to make quilts!!! The more you make the better you get. The only one who see's your imperfections is you!! We are our own worst enemy. If your happy with this method of payment...good for you. I mean if you don't have to put out any money and get to make beautiful quilts..great. I mean there is only so many quilts we can use anyway.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:24 AM
Power Poster

I think trying to put a value on what someone should charge for making quilt that we know nothing about -nor do we know anything about the skills of the maker - is about as sensible as trying to say what the weather will be like in an unknown location on an unknown date.

That said - for those that want/need to charge for making a quilt - go for it - with all the cautions that have been listed elsewhere.

For those that prefer to only do 'give-aways' - please don't knock those that can't afford to or don't want to.

As far as $/per hour - that is a tough one to put a value on - some people can get a lot more accomplished in an hour than others. Skill levels vary considerably. Where one is located also will affect what one can reasonably hope to get.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:34 AM

Thank you for all of your comments!
Old 10-07-2013, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
For many of us, quilt making is an art form, an industry, a passion, a career, a talent, indeed a job, that *may* have started as a hobby, but has become much, much more. And thereby quilt making deserves to be respected by family, friends, fellow quilters (no matter *their* direction), the public in general. *That* is all we are making a point for here. Respect for the work as "we" do it -- hobby or otherwise.

Jan in VA
Standing up to applaud.... Thank you, Jan, for putting it so well.

'Joy' and 'work' are not mutually exclusive.

Last edited by ghostrider; 10-07-2013 at 04:11 AM.